Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clod Stomper

New Builds

Well, since the demise of the old forum, I have built one 16" AR for my brother and helped another friend build his 18". My brother's primary use will be as a hunting rifle. It's a lightweight upper. I used the AA barrel/bolt combo, Clark carbon fiber forearm cut to mid length, Yankee Hill flip-up front sight/gas block combo, MGI adjustable gas tube and Smith Vortex flash suppressor. It's noticeably lighter than the 5.56 upper that was on it before, but that one had a pretty fat barrel.

I think that once we get it dialed in and hunting season rolls around next fall, he's going to be a happy hunter.

The other one (the 18") was for a friend of mine. I introduced him to the AR via a 5.56 Franken-AR and he got hooked. Decided on the Grendel of his own volition (honest!) and pretty much ran with it from there. I gave him a few tips, but he studied the assembly process, bought the tools and wrenched it together himself. Not many people assemble their first AR from scratch, but he's a pretty brainy guy. This one will also be primarily used for hunting.

I've also done a bit of playing around with fireforming loads, but that's for another forum.

So, I've added a bit to my knowledge base where the Grendel is concerned. I hope I can learn a lot more and be of help to others who are just joining the horde.

And I get to be the first poster in this section of the new Grendel forum. Yes!

Will

In the process of building a grendel but getting a barrel is proving easier said than done. My barrel guy says he's getting the run around. Do you know a good source for 18-20" med. weight barrel?

Comment

• Clod Stomper

I got my first two from individuals on the old forum. But I got two more straight from Alexander Arms. Their 18" barrel/bolt combo is probably what you're looking for. Call them to make sure that they have them in stock and ready to ship before you order. They have a new website, but I don't know if it tracks inventory.

If you want a premium barrel, look at the Sabre Defense website. They still have some listed, so hopefully they have some left over. They've apparently been having some problems lately, so again call first and make sure they have stock ready to ship. http://www.sabredefence.com/products...oducts/barrels.

It's not an actual Grendel, but CSS http://www.competitionshooting.com/c...tegory33/p1612 makes a really good barrel. They aren't as pricey as Sabre Def. I just don't like the 5/8x24 muzzle thread. I prefer the 9/16x24, but that's just a personal preference. Their website always says In Stock, but call to make sure.

There are several other companies that sell .264 LBC barrels, but like the CSS they aren't genuine Grendels and I don't have any experience with them.

Will
      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: Continuity error

Comment

Try Satern machine I have been working with them on a barrel and they have been very quick to respond back and from what I understood are able to get the turn around time pretty low on their barrels now. Steve has gotten the business more up to speed and from my experiance they are really good people to work with.

Comment

Working...
        X