Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cornholio1

Which Varmit Bullets for Hogs

I've shot hogs with 95 grain Vmax, and they work fine. the problem is the Vmax's have to be seated very short (2.15or 2.16 OAL) to chamber properly. This is because of the weird profile (ogive). Are there any light 6.5 varmint rounds to try?
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

I haven't shot 'em, but what about the Barnes 100 TTSX?

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Nosler Ballistic tips have always worked well for me.

Comment

• cornholio1

Originally posted by JWH View Post
        I haven't shot 'em, but what about the Barnes 100 TTSX?

John
        Its a light bullet, but no Barnes. My buddy isn't happy with them. We shoot them up close, and need something made like Vmax. If Grendel didnt have an odd chamber design, Id be set

Comment

The 95 VMAX is a short bullet, so you don't really lose much powder space or performance because of the ogive design compared to the heavier bullets that needs to be loaded short.

Comment

• BlueOvalBruin

The speer TNT bullet is a varmint bullet, and AA has reloading data for it.

Comment

123AMAX is my new favorite!

Comment

• longdayjake

I must agree that the 95 vmax is such a small bullet that it shouldn't matter how deep you shove it in there. If you aren't getting the velocity you were hoping for try some faster powder. Try some benchmark or Reloader 7.

Comment

Agreed, 123 AMAX will tear them up.

Comment

I use 129 SST Hornady...... not lost one yet. Bang flop is critical as we hunt a lot of fence lines we don't have permission to cross. Last one, the spine, at the neck, was completely severed.

Dave

Comment

123 amax over tac works well for me also

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Hornady 123 Amax as you can see. Drops good size hogs in their tracks but it is devastating on piglets. Makes them look like they have been hit with a HE round. Not a fan of shooting piglets but the land owner wants them gone.
                        IMG_5953.jpg

Sorry about the late post. I hate being late to a party, but I just found out that we were back up and running.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2011, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Airhog View Post
                          I'm a big fan of the Hornady 123 Amax as you can see. Drops good size hogs in their tracks but it is devastating on piglets. Makes them look like they have been hit with a HE round. Not a fan of shooting piglets but the land owner wants them gone.
                          [ATTACH]56[/ATTACH]

Sorry about the late post. I hate being late to a party, but I just found out that we were back up and running.
                          ummmmmm.....baby back ribs!

Comment

Originally posted by Believer View Post
                            I use 129 SST Hornady...... not lost one yet. Bang flop is critical as we hunt a lot of fence lines we don't have permission to cross. Last one, the spine, at the neck, was completely severed.

Dave
                            I plan on using the 129 SST for whitetail, are you using factory or reloads?

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

I used Barnes 100gr TTSX on this Hog and it was DRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X