6.5 Grendel Armor Piercing ammunition data/info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

6.5 Grendel Armor Piercing ammunition data/info...

That got your attention, didn't it?

Bill Alexander: Sir, would you care to share some info with us on your AA factory AP loading for the Grendel? I'm interested in any and all data (and PICS!!!) you would care to share with us, to include availablity and pricing. Is this stuff currently available on an agency letterhead?

David (Gunwritr on Arfcom) posted a few tidbits and one very interesting photo where he shot a level IV plate at 100 yds.... I didn't want to pirate his pics, so I'll just hope more stuff shows up here... Details??? Please!

Ballistic data?

Price?

Availability?

Accuracy testing?

Performance data?
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

No fair, I've been asking for it longer than you!!

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Haaa!!!! Like heck you have! I've been asking since the beginning! You just jumped me in line by being better connected!!!
      Last edited by Variable; 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

bw actually made up some loads, shot'em, and reported the results.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pappy42 View Post
          bw actually made up some loads, shot'em, and reported the results.
          Yeah, I know that Bill W. rolled some handloads with the projectiles, but I would like more info on the actual AA load, the projectiles (have they changed any?), velocity data, any penetration testing they have done, etc. A cutaway of the projectile and any bullet construction info would be awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            Yeah, I know that Bill W. rolled some handloads with the projectiles, but I would like more info on the actual AA load, the projectiles (have they changed any?), velocity data, any penetration testing they have done, etc. A cutaway of the projectile and any bullet construction info would be awesome!!!
            You are 100% correct in your quest for info. I just wanted to welcome you back by jerking your chain.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by pappy42 View Post
              You are 100% correct in your quest for info. I just wanted to welcome you back by jerking your chain.
              Ahhh! OK. Thanks! Welcome back to you too!

I've been so frazzled lately I didn't even think about it. Preparing for the fall of western civilization has left me broke and sleep deprived. I'm kind of in drive by posting mode....

Comment

I looked up 6.5mm armor piercing on Google, and on page 2 I found mention of something interesting.

The entry says that it was from 4Gunwritr dated 11/2/2011 @ 1:14:10 pm PDT. It refers to a 125 grain tungsten core ammo piercing round. If someone would simply tell us where to find the bullet, I would be happy to work up my own loading data.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

The projectiles were designed and produced in house.

In looking at AP natures for Grendel, we have examined a number of different geometries and obviously material types. The 125 grain mentioned is a simple core type design and indicates the potential for such projectiles in the 6.5 caliber. As expected the high sectional density is a good starting point.

Moving forwards we are looking to two bullet types. Those who have followed my work know that I am not enamoured of single application target specific projectiles and would prefer a good GP type. This forms the basis of the first study. Simple production route with enhanced ability against battlefield targets is the design goal. Two general layouts are being worked on.

The second route is a specific AP type, but extending the ability beyond the 125g nature. I aim to be capable against ESAPI to ranges of 500 meters.

Bill Alexander

Comment

I agree with the GP route, we need it to be able to perform on all targets without having to change mags in a hurry.

That and utilize it with a purpose built projectile intermixed in belts, they key is that they both need to have the same flight characteristics so as to not become a hazard in dangerous situations (when firing close to team members) who might be near the target.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                      The projectiles were designed and produced in house.

In looking at AP natures for Grendel, we have examined a number of different geometries and obviously material types. The 125 grain mentioned is a simple core type design and indicates the potential for such projectiles in the 6.5 caliber. As expected the high sectional density is a good starting point.

Moving forwards we are looking to two bullet types. Those who have followed my work know that I am not enamoured of single application target specific projectiles and would prefer a good GP type. This forms the basis of the first study. Simple production route with enhanced ability against battlefield targets is the design goal. Two general layouts are being worked on.

The second route is a specific AP type, but extending the ability beyond the 125g nature. I aim to be capable against ESAPI to ranges of 500 meters.

Bill Alexander
                      OK, cool. When you have something for sale please let me know. If it's projectiles I'm in for as many as I can afford, and if it's loaded factory ammo then I'll send you a letterhead if you need it.

Thanks!

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                        Hi, Bill.

Would it be corrrect to conclude from the above that neither of your 6.5mm GP bullets are of the M855A1/M80A1 (two-piece core, exposed-steel tip) type?

Stan

Comment

Good to see you back stanc, hadn't heard from you in a while.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

stanc,

Is that really you?

Welcome back!!

Bill

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              Hi, Bill.

Would it be corrrect to conclude from the above that neither of your 6.5mm GP bullets are of the M855A1/M80A1 (two-piece core, exposed-steel tip) type?

Stan
                              Stan????? Gee, thanks for letting us know you're alive all this time JERKFACE!!! I emailed you repeatedly with no reply. You ditch the capriXXXX address??? I thought you must have croaked or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X