Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Introduction - Trying to Find a New Direction

Hello folks,

New member here, looking to tap into the knowledge of the site to guide me. Im a long time bolt gun shooter and handloader that recently picked up a stock Bushmaster and am thinking of entering some tactical matches. I'm flabergasted over my inability to shoot sub-moa (usually a .4s shooter with my bolt guns) with the gas gun and started flirting with the idea of acuiring a WOA upper as an upgrade. I then started reading and learning about the Grendels and that exercise led me to learning about the 6MM ARs and AR 40 Ts. Now I just dont know what to do.

This gun will be all about target shooting and I plan to participate in a mix of different tactical matches that include distances to 600 and rapid fire stages of 10 rounds in 45 seconds. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are extremely welcome!

Originally posted by TDaly25 View Post
    Hello folks,

New member here, looking to tap into the knowledge of the site to guide me. Im a long time bolt gun shooter and handloader that recently picked up a stock Bushmaster and am thinking of entering some tactical matches. I'm flabergasted over my inability to shoot sub-moa (usually a .4s shooter with my bolt guns) with the gas gun and started flirting with the idea of acuiring a WOA upper as an upgrade. I then started reading and learning about the Grendels and that exercise led me to learning about the 6MM ARs and AR 40 Ts. Now I just dont know what to do.

This gun will be all about target shooting and I plan to participate in a mix of different tactical matches that include distances to 600 and rapid fire stages of 10 rounds in 45 seconds. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are extremely welcome!
    I have affordable bolt rifles that are so accurate as to be boring at the local (8 minutes away) range. In an alternate universe, there exists rifles that offset rifles in our universe. For every accurate bolt gun there exists a Black Rifle to keep everything in balance. IMHO, as hard as it is to shoot a good bolt gun inaccurately, it is equally hard to shoot a Black Gun accurately. In their defense, they were not conceived for that purpose. I don't care how much money you spend on a Black Rifle, if you can get it to reliably shoot well, you have a certain gift to your credit. By that, I mean repeatedly sub-MOA, not the occasional wonder group. It has been and remains an enigma to me how I can take 10 identical rounds and an AR to the range, hang my targets, set up my BR gear, sit down and shoot a 5-shot string into a .6 inch group, stop and without getting up, have a brief conversation with the fellow in the next position, load the remaining 5 and shoot a 2 inch group.

I'm not daunted by that, for lack of a better term, phenomenon. I'm empowered by it to keep working on my presentation, my mantra I go through each shot, even as my Dad used to say, "the way you hold your mouth.". Hell, I'd dance naked around an inverted cross, covered with goat's blood to lick that inherent inaccuracy!

It does and is getting better with every shot. It just comes in fits and starts. When my self-confidence gets too low, I reach for one of my Savage Model 12 BVTHS' and rip up a 1/2 MOA bullseye. The earth then re-aligns on it's axis. Dogs and cats start living together in harmony and all's right with the world.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
      ...I reach for one of my Savage Model 12 BVTHS' and rip up a 1/2 MOA bullseye. The earth then re-aligns on it's axis. Dogs and cats start living together in harmony and all's right with the world...
      I like the sentiment -- it's a 'hoot' -- although I'll admit I'd get that excited over 1 moa!! (I get them occasionally, but that's pushing things for my equipment and skills!)

Comment

Hoot you have to use your own blood mixed in sawdust to coat the bullets like moly coating.

Comment

I, too shoot bolt guns in competition. I also shoot a match AR. I know it's a little more refined than the Black Gun, but shooting a Sierra 80 loaded over 24.8 grains of Varget loaded to a COAL of 2.460, I can hold sub-moa with the match gun all day.
          I bought my Grendel to shoot in Field Precision Rifle matches. These are at 600 yards. I like the ballistics of the G and have found that by experimenting and finding the load your rifle likes best, it will hold 1 moa at with no problem.
          I also shoot sometimes with the Across The Course group who shoot service rifles open sight up to 600 yards. WOA upper, 20" barrel, A2 configuration. Some of these guys are phenomenal shots at hitting a 6" X ring open sight at 600 yards.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Good to have ya, TD25!

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
            X