AA has great Labor Day deal on hornady brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA has great Labor Day deal on hornady brass

I was on the aa site today looking for their phone number and I noticed a new banner on their home page.......
    Labor day sale.......500 hornady grendel brass cases for $225 and you also get a free set of lee grendel reloading dies. That is a hell of a deal on brass......

Thank you for the tip, I just ordered some.

Comment

Great news...Thanks for the info.

Comment

A little off topic, but I'm still working off of my first bag of 50 Hornadys and more and more primers pockets are getting uncomfortably loose. WRT both Lapua and AA house brand (Lapua), do the smaller flash holes necessitate re-working your recipes if you switch to them instead of Hornady? For the difference in price, as little as I go through and WRT the high opinion folks have on the Lapua, I figured I'd treat myself to some. I run mine on Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Thanks,

Hoot

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
          I was on the aa site today looking for their phone number and I noticed a new banner on their home page.......
          Labor day sale.......500 hornady grendel brass cases for $225 and you also get a free set of lee grendel reloading dies. That is a hell of a deal on brass......

QC:

He, he, he.

Buy the decent Hornady brass and ruin it by running it through the Lee sizing die followed by the use of the Lee crimp die.

That is like planned obsolescence.

All in fun.

Stock up on decent brass when Alexander has sales. Alexander used to have similar sales with the AA (Lapua) brass and many of us bought one thousand pieces at a time. I believe the prices were forty to fifty cents a piece when he ran such sales.

I meant what I said about the Lee dies. You will reduce the brass life by half -- easily -- if you use the Lee sizing die. Crimping will also reduce brass life so crimp only if you must.

LR55

Comment

i figure that most people on this board already have reloading dies......and we'll see a bunch of brand new lee grendel dies for sale soon.
            I bought the hornady dies, but haven't used then yet. How are the hornady dies?

Comment

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
              i figure that most people on this board already have reloading dies......and we'll see a bunch of brand new lee grendel dies for sale soon.
              I bought the hornady dies, but haven't used then yet. How are the hornady dies?
              That's the set I bought. I had an issue arise. My barrel has a regular AA Grendel Chamber, with the wider neck. The Hornady resizing die in my set seemed to be designed for the narrower neck chamber. As such I felt it was working those necks too much each reloading cycle, so I bought a separate Forster resizing die and it seems to be a better fit. If you use the narrower necked chamber, you should be happy with the Hornady set. That's just my experience.

Hoot
              Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                That's the set I bought. I had an issue arise. My barrel has a regular AA Grendel Chamber, with the wider neck. The Hornady resizing die in my set seemed to be designed for the narrower neck chamber. As such I felt it was working those necks too much each reloading cycle, so I bought a separate Forster resizing die and it seems to be a better fit. If you use the narrower necked chamber, you should be happy with the Hornady set. That's just my experience.

Hoot
                NArrow neck? regular necK? I thought the "grendel" chamber was supposed to be a single standard. How can you tell which chamber you have?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

The Grendel chamber is a single standard. .300 neck, compound throat.

Unfortunately, the .264 LBC, 6.5 CSS, 6.5 Sporter also get folded into that name. The LBC and 6.5 CSS have similar compound throats but tighter necks, I've never seen anyone say what the 6.5 Sporter uses.

If you buy your barrel from a licensed Grendel manufacturer, you will have the .300 neck. If you buy from someone else, that may not be the case. CSS/Lothar Walthar used both in the past, so if you have a Lothar Walthar barrel, it can get interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X