Favorite Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Powder

Checking to see what the favorite powder for the experienced Grendel reloaders is; specifically for barrel lengths 16" - 20" and 120 gr. bullets. I have some TAC on hand (which I can also use on .308) but would like to try an alternative...
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Goju View Post
    Checking to see what the favorite powder for the experienced Grendel reloaders is; specifically for barrel lengths 16" - 20" and 120 gr. bullets. I have some TAC on hand (which I can also use on .308) but would like to try an alternative...
    GJ:

2520 has given me the best velocities and most consistent performance. Velocities are significantly higher than any other powder -- faster or slower. Some say velocity doesn't mean anything and with most cartridges this is probably true. However with the Grendel you are already starting out at the low end of the performance spectrum so further losses in velocity equate to major problems given some winds or a requirement to estimate ranges -- both past 300.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      GJ:

2520 has given me the best velocities and most consistent performance. Velocities are significantly higher than any other powder -- faster or slower. Some say velocity doesn't mean anything and with most cartridges this is probably true. However with the Grendel you are already starting out at the low end of the performance spectrum so further losses in velocity equate to major problems given some winds or a requirement to estimate ranges -- both past 300.

LR1955
      Same here with the 2520. I have tried H335, BLC-(2) and Varget, but all had significant drop in velocity over the 2520. YMMV.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

If you live in a very warm area, though, I've found 2520 to be temp sensitive.

Its probably turned into my favorite winter powder, but I have to reduce loads or blow primers in the summer.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

Its probably turned into my favorite winter powder, but I have to reduce loads or blow primers in the summer.
          I've heard this from a number of sources. No experience myself though.

IMR 8208 has been working great for me. 100 NBTs & 123 SMKs. Good accuracy & velocity.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• PA_Allen
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            I've heard this from a number of sources. No experience myself though.

IMR 8208 has been working great for me. 100 NBTs & 123 SMKs. Good accuracy & velocity.
            txgunner00,
            Do you have some velocity and load data with IMR 8208 that you would be willing to share? The data on Hodgdon's site looks promising, but I haven't seen any real world data.

Thanks,
            PA

Comment

• michaelmew

If I recall from the old site, wasn't Hornady supposed to be releasing their secret blend of powders that would outperform all others? What ever happened with that?

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

I live in Louisiana and the summers get quite hot. I'm working on a couple of ideas to keep my loaded cartridges cooler between rounds. Dealing with temperature sensitive powders is challenging, but if it was all easy, it wouldn't any fun.

I use a lot of Varget with my .223's and would really love to find a working load with it. But alas, it eludes me. It is very temperature neutral.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
                  txgunner00,
                  Do you have some velocity and load data with IMR 8208 that you would be willing to share? The data on Hodgdon's site looks promising, but I haven't seen any real world data.

Thanks,
                  PA
                  123 smks - 28.6 gr - 2575 avg
                  100 nbt- 30gr- 2865 avg

I believe these are over book max but I worked up to them. No pressure signs for me. Ymmv
                  Last edited by txgunner00; 03-19-2011, 05:59 AM.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    123 smks - 28.6 gr - 2575 avg
                    100 nbt- 30gr- 2865 avg

I believe these are over book max but I worked up to them. No pressure signs for me. Ymmv
                    Thanks txgunner00
                    BTW what is your barrel length?

Comment

I have been using mostly W748. I have found a load of Tac that shoots to the same point of impact, so that is handy. Accuracy, and point of impact are the same, but usually, W748 is easier to find.

123 Scenar
                      CCI 450 primer
                      Lapua cases
                      2.260 C.O.A.L.
                      30.3 grains of W748 (30.5 is Max, so work up slowly)

I use this load in both 18, and 19.5 inch barrels.

Comment

• RangerRick

I've had good luck with AA2520 too. I was just at a local gun store and saw a can of Hodgdon "Hornady SuperPerformance" anybody used that?

Comment

Originally posted by PA_Allen View Post
                          txgunner00,

Thanks,
                          PA
                          From last Wednesday:
                          New Rifle
                          AA (ER Shaw) 24" SS Barrel .300 Neck
                          42 Degrees F.
                          New Hornady Brass
                          Remington 7 1/2 Primers
                          Nosler 100gr BT
                          2.27 COL

28.5gr IMR 8208XBR = 2701 fps Avg / SD = 12 best group of all that day's loads.
                          29.0gr IMR 8208XBR = 2738 fps Avg / SD = 6
                          29.5gr IMR 8208XBR = 2795 fps Avg / SD = 8
                          30.0gr IMR 8208XBR = 2821 fps Avg / SD = 5 light pressure signs

Hoot

Comment

Thanks for all of the valuable info. Regarding the prior comments to temperature sensitivity, which of the "Grendel" powders are least temp sensitive, and which are the most sensitive?

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by Goju
                              Regarding the prior comments to temperature sensitivity, which of the "Grendel" powders are least temp sensitive, and which are the most sensitive?
                              I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Does anybody know?

-michaelmew
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2011, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X