• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COTNTOP
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

123 sierra

Gonna start loading 6.5 for first time and would like opinions to help getting started. Have Sierra 123HPBT, Lapua brass and a really great selection of powders and primers to choose from. Read so much but heard so little that was good on the Sierra 123. Seems that A-max is the preferred round. Will be using 24" AA with Shilen barrel. THANKS for any input.

im a big fan of hodgon powders and cci primers. then again i have been reading a lot about the new xbr. 8208 i believe it is. When my barrel finally gets here im starting with blc-2 because thats what i have on hand.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by COTNTOP View Post
      Gonna start loading 6.5 for first time and would like opinions to help getting started. Have Sierra 123HPBT, Lapua brass and a really great selection of powders and primers to choose from. Read so much but heard so little that was good on the Sierra 123. Seems that A-max is the preferred round. Will be using 24" AA with Shilen barrel. THANKS for any input.
      HI COTNTOP,

The SMK 123 is a good bullet it just has the problem that other bullets with VLDish design have, it is kind of particular about jump. Depending on how your chamber is cut you may or may not be able to hit a sweet spot and keep it magazine length.

I kind of gave up on it for awhile after the AMax came out. I couldn't get much out of the 123 SMK until I took a second look and got my loads up to about 30.4 to 30.5 grains of AA2520. In my 20 inch Satern barrel (1 in 8.5) I get about 2530 fps with that.

The Alexander Arms reloading data (http://alexanderarms.com/grendel_reloading.pdf) lists 30.8 grains of 2520 as a max load for this bullet. I tried that and got pressure signs. The accuracy wasn't as good as 30.5 grains either.

I took a bunch of 123 AMax's and SMK 123's out to the range (along with a few others) to see what would be best for long range stuff. The SMK 123 won the head to head comparison at 30.5 grains. The AMax's were a little better at 30.1, but I figured I should go with the higher velocity load for long range stuff.

Haven't had a chance to shoot them past 300 yet, so I don't know how they'll do at long range.

With your 24 inch barrel you'll get 100-120 fps more than me, so you may have an easier time with them.

Some guys on here are getting good results with some of the newer powders like 8208 and Leverevolution. I haven't had a chance to try those yet.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

RR

Comment

I am currently using 123 SMK's with 2520. Another member here has been working with 8028 and 123 AMAX. If you do a little searching on here you can probably find some info on both.
        I just got some 8028 and 123 AMAX's. I plan to do a side-by-side comparison.

Comment

30.5 grains of Accurate 2520 and the 123 SMK's is a pretty solid recipe. I do believe that Accurate recommends 2230 (or something can't remember). But I like 2520. Some report that it is kind of picky with high tempratures, but I live in WA state and I don't really have to worry about the temps getting too high.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I run 123 smks & 8208 and the combination works very well. I have found smk's like to be pushed right to the edge no matter the caliber. I recently had to pull back a bit on my load because I had a few cases get partially pulled apart on an extremely hot day (110 deg & in the sun). No other signs of pressure though.

28.6 gr gave me 2550 fps. average from a 19.5" barrel. I'm loading 28.4 now but have not chronoed them yet.

gren 1000.jpg

Here is a group I shot a couple weeks ago. 5" @ 1000 yds
            Last edited by txgunner00; 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
            X