• Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

molly or non molly

can yal tell ant difference reloading or shooting the two
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

With otherwise identical loads, moly will be less pressure / slower velocity versus non-moly.
    Drifter

Comment

I've tried both the Amax 123 and the NBT 120s with HBN coating, which is similar to MoS2,but not quite as slippery. The Amax 123s that shot groups like a laser with the same powder without the coating opened up considerably with it. I honestly did not expect that to happen. On the other hand, the NBT 120s improved with it. My best group came over 28.5 gr 8208, netting an average for 5 shots of 2550 fps. Velocity was down between 10-15 fps with the HBN plated bullets as opposed to plain bullets, so not a real deal breaker. Actually those 120s shot well ahead of 27.5 (2487 fps), 28 (2522fps) and 28.5 gr of 8208 with all three 5-shot groups being under 1 MOA and the 2 fastest of the 3 groups at .5 MOA. So, they're pretty forgiving over an 80 fps range. SDs at 27.5 and 28.5 were single digits and with the 28gr load, if I threw out one of the five, it to would have been single digit also. I would expect a greater lss of velocity with WS2 or MoS2 coatings as they more slippery than HBN.

Hoot

Comment

Isn't it true to using Moly will allow your barrel to last longer than shooting the same amount of non Moly rounds???

I was reading about the use of teflon coated bullets and the reason for using teflon originally was to allow the shooter to use much harder alloys as bullets. Is there any similarities for the use of Moly??
        Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2011, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
          Isn't it true to using Moly will allow your barrel to last longer than shooting the same amount of non Moly rounds???

I was reading about the use of teflon coated bullets and the reason for using teflon originally was to allow the shooter to use much harder alloys as bullets. Is there any similarities for the use of Moly??
          Nope, never been proven. Moly MAY enhance velocities because you can increase the powder load with less pressure increase, but even that hasn't been shown conclusively, or everyone shooting long range would be shooting moly bullets, and they simply aren't. In fact fewer and fewer shooters at long range matches seem to be using them.

Barrels wear out in the throats LONG before the rifled area wears out, and moly won't help that at all.

Comment

• terrywick4

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            Barrels wear out in the throats LONG before the rifled area wears out, and moly won't help that at all.
            here is an interesting article on molly http://www.shootingsoftware.com/moly.htm

terry
            Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I tried moly bullets in my 220 Swift, but they never shot as good as uncoated bullets did. I ran 500 of them through the rifle and I just never could get them to act right. The worst part was getting all that moly out of the barrel when I was done playing with them..... So no, I will never use moly bullets again.

Greg

Comment

I read an article somewhere on snipershide that molly bullets have ruined alot of barrels. So im going to steer clear of them period.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
                  I read an article somewhere on snipershide that molly bullets have ruined alot of barrels. So im going to steer clear of them period.

Keith
                  My rifles are precision, serious investments, so I clean them after every use. Depending upon the caliber, I've use both WS2 and MoS2 and have not experienced any surface deterioration. Still, if you're worried, there's always HBN. While all three do a whiz-bang job against copper buildup and reduce barrel heating, they do nothing against carbon, so you still need to clean them.

Hoot

Comment

Sounds like it's a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. Never had a problem with copper fouling. Got this really nice foam that you shoot down the barrel. It eats the copper and turns blue. If it's coming out white, then all the copper is gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X