Where are the cheapest bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the cheapest bullets?

I just need something for banging steel out to 400 yds. The only bulk bullets I can find are 120gr Remington Core-Lokt at Midway. The Speer Hot Core is almost the same price though.

What bullet is everyone using for just blasting ammo?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 04:49 AM.

I just the wolf 120g mpt. Its a jacketed HP boat tail. I use it for paper, steel, and flesh. There are a lot of wolf ammo horror stories about inaccuracies, dirty burns, and fouling, but I like it. It's been a good clean round for me. Haven't taken it out to 400 yet but I tagged a 4 shot sub group at 200 a week ago or so, last time I shot. Midway sells it for $15 a box, AA sells it for $13 a box, or 500 for $350.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by buckbustn View Post
      I just the wolf 120g mpt. Its a jacketed HP boat tail. I use it for paper, steel, and flesh. There are a lot of wolf ammo horror stories about inaccuracies, dirty burns, and fouling, but I like it. It's been a good clean round for me. Haven't taken it out to 400 yet but I tagged a 4 shot sub group at 200 a week ago or so, last time I shot. Midway sells it for $15 a box, AA sells it for $13 a box, or 500 for $350.
      BB:

Don't confuse the Wolf MPT with the Wolf 123 grain soft points. We never really had issues with the MPT and the new lots of MPT that guys are buying now shoots more consistently than the initial lots of MPT. No one complained about the MPT fowling but I thought the first lots of MPT could have shot better. They shot to about 2 minutes but on the plus side, they were dependable to shoot to 2 minutes. The lots of MPT guys are buying today are under 1 1/2 minutes and my various different uppers all shoot them to about one minute at 200. Not sure about distances past as I haven't had the time to see how well they do past 200. For blasting steel sils at 400 though, I would not hesitate.

It is the 123 Soft Points that fowled barrels horribly. Brass life was one shot, the powder was horrible, and I believe the jackets were way too soft. It wasn't just some guys complaining. It was the honest truth but only in terms of the 123 Soft Points. The 123 Soft Points were the first commercially loaded Grendel ammo available and they were a huge flop.

LR1955

Comment

I'm asking about bullets guys. Just the bullets for reloading.

But... I did buy a case of 500 Wolf 120 MPT from AIM Surplus for $350 including shipping to my door. That was the best price I found.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Watch Sinclair, Wideners, Midway, Powder Valley, etc. for their blemished sales. The bullets shoot fine, just have jacket blemishes. Often sell for less than half normal price.

Comment

Since we are in the subject of cheapest.......

Where is the best place to buy powder and primers? I have noticed that online retailers charge a hefty hazmat , around $25 . Do you still get charged a hazmat fee if you buy locally our at a gun show?

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
              Since we are in the subject of cheapest.......

Where is the best place to buy powder and primers? I have noticed that online retailers charge a hefty hazmat , around $25 . Do you still get charged a hazmat fee if you buy locally our at a gun show?
              If it goes through the mail, then you have to pay the hazmat fee. Try picking it up in person to avoid this. I got a bunch of mine from a grand opening sale at Cabela's. It wasn't as quite as cheap as the online places, but the shipping was $0. You can find it for a competitive price at a show, just do your research ahead of time and know whether its a good price or not.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion LR. I was talking about wolf ammo in general, not any specific cal or load. I've got friends who have completely sworn off wolf for real real bad early runs of .223 and .308 ammo.
                Snew, sorry I didn't realize you meant just bulk bullets alone. I'm curious myself. I'm working up the courage to wet my feet in reloading. And working on my wife to let me buy equipment.

Comment

Sierra Pro Hunters and Nosler Ballistic tips are about the cheapest I've been able to find locally. Can't remember what the actaul prices are, but they are way cheaper than SMK's, Scenars or any of the other HPBT's. Not exactly what I would call plinking prices, but that's what I end up shooting. It's probably cheaper just to shoot loaded Wolf MPT than it is to reload any plinking ammo. But, my reloads shoot much better than the Wolf MPT. I wish I could just buy wolf MPT bullets to reload plinking ammo. Lake City needs to get on board with Grendel ammo, now that would be great plinking ammo .... LOL.

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                    ... I wish I could just buy wolf MPT bullets to reload plinking ammo...
                    Voila! http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3

I'm pretty sure these are the same bullets. I haven't bought any of the loaded Wolf to compare to, but I would almost bet they're the same. I bought a few several weeks (months?) ago when they were on sale for 18 or 19 bucks per hundred. Haven't shot many of them yet, but they're in my plinking ammo ready to go.

Will

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Clod Stomper View Post
                      Voila! http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3

I'm pretty sure these are the same bullets. I haven't bought any of the loaded Wolf to compare to, but I would almost bet they're the same. I bought a few several weeks (months?) ago when they were on sale for 18 or 19 bucks per hundred. Haven't shot many of them yet, but they're in my plinking ammo ready to go.

Will
                      Wow, you can find 123 grain Amax's for about 2 cents more per bullet. I'd be shooting Amax's all day long at that difference!

If the Prvi's were $13-15 per hundred it would be worth it, but for 2 cents a bullet?

Not to me.

Comment

OK, they are 21 dollars and 4.95 handling and insurance. So, how much is shipping. It's still cheaper for me to drive down to my wholesale outfitters and buy whatever they happen to have on the shelf. Shipping is what makes the differnce.

Comment

Mutt your right it's the shipping that's a killer. I bought Sierra 120 Pro-Hunter for $22 at my local gun shop.

Comment

That's about what I pay (I think). I can also get Noslers for about 8 dollars more (I think ..... can't remember exactly what I paid). But, I do know for sure that it's still cheaper to buy locally regardless of what they are. For the cost of the shipping, I can come close to buying a pound of powder or a bunch of primers. I just wish cabelas wasn't an hour and a half drive from my house (gas is just as bad). The selection is way better. My local spot doesn't carry a whole lot of 6.5. So, I take what I can when I can.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                              Mutt your right it's the shipping that's a killer. I bought Sierra 120 Pro-Hunter for $22 at my local gun shop.
                              If you have a bullet you like buy a large order. A lot of times "shipping" includes a handling fee, which is charged once to an order. So ordering 500 doesn't cost 5 times as much in shipping as 100. You spread the cost over more bullets.

Also, my state charges sales tax but if I buy on the net, I don't have to pay that unless the store has an operation inside this state. So I save that.

RR

Comment

Working...
                              X