Barnes TSX vs. TTSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes TSX vs. TTSX

I am planning on loading Barnes TSX or TTSX for deer this season and would be interested in opinions on these bullets. Have been using 120 TSX and was wondering if 120 TTSX or even the lighter 100 grain TTSX bullet would be better choices for deer at 100-300 yards (usually shoot from a stand across large clear cuts).

I would go with the heavier bullet for deer and leave the lighter ones for varmint. The more mass turns in to more energy absorbed by the target is what I am basing that theory on.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

The other issue is that the TTSX is long with the polymer tip. Loading it long enough to get a full powder load becomes an issue with mags.

Comment

I plan to use the 100gr TTSX this season. I called Barnes and asked about Min expansion velocity(MEV) for the TSX vs TTSX. I was told that the TSX has a MEV of 1800fps and the TTSX is rated the same. He also told me that in reality the TTSX works well down to 1600fps. I have no problem getting the 100gr TTSX over 2700fps with H-322, accurate too.

Comment

Thanks -- what you learned is consistent with a lot of other folk's experience with light-for-caliber all copper expanding bullets. That increases the credibility of the Barnes technical staff in by book.

The real test is how they perform. Hopefully you'll let us know how it goes...

Cheers!

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Seems to be a bit of conflicting information about this.

Comment

• jwilson1985

have you seen the ballistics gel test on the 120 tsx hp i dont think you will have a problem with a deer .its a nasty lil bullet might wanna take a neck shot though... leaves a path like a drill bit

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Stan, that data is 2 years old, I don't remember that there was even a 6.5 TTSX at that time.

I do agree that Barnes bullets tend to have a fair amount of ogive shift from lot to lot, though!

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Bill, did you scroll up to post #1?

"For all you Grendel and Swede fans, Barnes has the new Tipped Triple Shock 120gr. 6.5mm (.264) bullets in stock."

Yes, that thread is two years old, but it says basically the same thing as a recent post in another forum*: TTSX needs ~200 fps higher impact velocity than TSX.

This makes sense (to me, anyway), because the TSX has an open front, whereas the TTSX has a plastic tip plugging the hole.

* I don't recall which forum, nor could I locate it now with a brief search.

Comment

Well, someone should go out and shoot some!

Frankly, that plastic acts more like a wedge than a plug.

I've read most of the customer reviews on the TTSX product on the MidWayUSA site -- the reports are very consistent. The bullet works well.

There's also a lot of folks saying that you don't need that expensive bullet for most game -- the classics we grew up with do just fine!

Problem is most of us don't get enough chances to take large game to do definitive studies...

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Stan, sorry, I forgot that was when the 120 was released. I always think of the 100 when I think of the Grendel, and forget that the 120 was out first.

Bill

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Stan, sorry, I forgot that was when the 120 was released. I always think of the 100 when I think of the Grendel, and forget that the 120 was out first.
                        No biggie. Was the 100 designed specifically for 6.5 Grendel?

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
                          Warrior
                          • May 2011

I hope to have some real results with the 100gr TTSX on MI whitetail this weekend for you, pushing 2900+ out of my 20" rifle. Will post pics and results if we score.

Comment

• StoneTower

What brand of barrel and how hot are they to hit 2900+?

I needed a hog load for a non-lead bullet in a hurry and PA_ALLEN was kind enough to share his load for the 100gr TTSX. I thought it was fast at 2775 from a 20" CSS tube. Are you seeing pressure signs with your load?

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              No biggie. Was the 100 designed specifically for 6.5 Grendel?
                              At least with the Grendel in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X