Need help w/ max powder recommendations for Varget - working up a load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help w/ max powder recommendations for Varget - working up a load

hey guys... am currently in the process of working through several loads to see which one is the most accurate in my rifle, which is a 1 in 9 twist (20" barrel). I ended up getting the lapua 123gr scenars to shoot a .553" group at a hundred yards, but I want to see if that is the most accurate bullet for my barrel, or if i should go lighter or heavier.

i currently have some 130gr Berger VLD's that i am trying to work up loads on. I want to dial in the powder first before I dial in the COAL. But my problem is that i can't seem to find any load data for this bullet with the Varget powder i'm using. Closest thing i found is here, and only lists Hodgdon's BLC2 powder for this bullet. So how do i know what to start with? How does the BLC2 typically relate to Varget? From looking at that chart, I was planning on starting with about 2 grains less than the BLC2 recommended load (i.e. 27 grains) since that's what the chart typically seems to recommend.... then I will check my velocity on the chrono and take it from there. I also don't know if anyone has a resource to point me to about compressed loads? Thanks in advance guys.

I have used 27.5g of varget with the 130vld and had no pressure problems, but accuracy was only 1" with low velocity. Berger bullets need to be at or near the lands to be accurate. 2.260 COL won't work for them in my opinion. I have a 24" Lother barrel with 1-8 twist so long heavy bullets are the most accurate for me. <.500 inch groups. Reloder 15 and and imr 8208 are excellent powders for me with either the 139 lapua or 123 amax. Varget is a single base powder, where blc-2 and w748 are double base. If you compress the loads too much without enough neck tension the bullet will walk out beyond magazine length.

Comment

I posted my results using Varget and the 120 Sierra Pro-Hunter.
      Well, I finally got a chance to get to the range today and give some of my reloads a try. Unfortunately, the range was very busy because it was a nice sunny day and the wind was up a bit. But, I took out some of the 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter Soft Point bullets today. I loaded them into AA cases using 30.2 grains of 2520. I

Also, Hornady's Reloading Manual 8th Edition list Varget for the Grendel. For the 129gr Hornady bullets, max load listed is 27.5gr @ 2200fps, starting load listed is 23.6gr @1900fps.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Varget isn't fast enough to maximize the Grendels potential, but if you are comfortable with 30-30 velocities, it will work.

BLC2 is better, XBR8208 is better, 2520 is better, TAC is better.

Comment

The best part about TAC is that it is clean, accurate and very inexpensive.

Plus it works well on other calibers if you want a powder that is good for several cartridges.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
            The best part about TAC is that it is clean, accurate and very inexpensive.

Plus it works well on other calibers if you want a powder that is good for several cartridges.
            Very true, I use it in .223, Grendel and 30-30.

It can be temp sensitive above 90 degrees, though.

Comment

Very interesting guys! Thank you very much for all the input! I think what I'll end up doing is loading a few rounds at maybe 27 gains and seeing what my velocity is first. I have a lot of varget, but I will probably end up getting one of the other one you guys suggested so I can access the full potential of the grendel round.

Comment

I don't have a chronograph and would very interested in your velocities. I used Varget because that's what I have on hand but always looking to improve and thinking about trying TAC. Anyway if you decide to go with anyone of other suggested powers, please post your velocity results.

Comment

Originally posted by in.dmand View Post
                  Very interesting guys! Thank you very much for all the input! I think what I'll end up doing is loading a few rounds at maybe 27 gains and seeing what my velocity is first. I have a lot of varget, but I will probably end up getting one of the other one you guys suggested so I can access the full potential of the grendel round.
                  If you decide to move away from Varget, many High Power and F-class shooters (including me) use it exclusively. You will have no trouble selling it.

Neither of my Grendels shot decent groups with Varget. I get much better results with 2520 and 8208.

Comment

• BenchRider

Need TAC load start and max data

I've got a 30.3 gr load of 2520 behind a 123 grain Amax that does fine work for me in my 28 inch Grendel barrel.

I confess to not going and checking the stickies for load data before asking this:

Those who are happy using TAC, would you please provide your favorite TAC/bullet/seating depth recipes?

I had thought about running TAC for the heavier bullets in my Grendel, but hadn't yet seen good load data to start experimenting with.

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                      If you decide to move away from Varget, many High Power and F-class shooters (including me) use it exclusively. You will have no trouble selling it.

Neither of my Grendels shot decent groups with Varget. I get much better results with 2520 and 8208.
                      that's excellent news since i have over 7 lbs left =) i imagine that people would be sorta leerie buying already-opened powder though... i probably would unless it was from someone i trusted. i have kept it in an ammo can w/ silica gel though, and only had it about 6 months. anyway, thanks for your input on the 2520 and 8208... the 8208 is actually what hodgdon recommended when i called them. they stated to me that both varget and blc2 burn too slowly, and then proceeded to recommend the 8208. however, he gave me min and max loads for123 gr - min:25.5gr for 2180fps vel, and max: 28.5 for 2497fps vel.. this seems slower to me than the blc2 as the blc2 is seeing around the 2500fps benchmark easily. don't know why he recommended against it, cuz seems like they are well recepted in the rifle shooting community for being reliable. oh well!

Originally posted by BenchRider View Post
                      I've got a 30.3 gr load of 2520 behind a 123 grain Amax that does fine work for me in my 28 inch Grendel barrel.

I confess to not going and checking the stickies for load data before asking this:

Those who are happy using TAC, would you please provide your favorite TAC/bullet/seating depth recipes?

I had thought about running TAC for the heavier bullets in my Grendel, but hadn't yet seen good load data to start experimenting with.

Many thanks in advance!
                      wow! of varget?! that seems like that would make for a very compressed load... if you click on the link to alexander arm's website reloading data (in my first post), it looks to me like the varget loads always are less than the blc2 loads, and the blc2 loads for the 123 scenar are: BLC2 min: 31.5 = 2570fps, and Varget min: 28.0 = 2358fps.

yeah, i would love to see some data on TAC, called up a buddy of mine and he said that's all he uses now and that he loves it. I'm gonna pick up a half pound tomorrow and start working up a ladder w/ it on the 123 scenar probably so i can compare it to the varget for that bullet. the only negative thing i have seen about it is in the review posted below of of midwayusa's website... you guys having this experience?

"Powder measures well and makes for consistent loads but..... it does produce smoke not very tactical. It did perform well for me at the 2010 Ft. Benning 3-Gun, although I did get kidded a lot about having a black powder AR. "

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

TAC does very well for me, and until I found 8208 had become by favorite Grendel powder for bullets 120-29 grains. But XBR 8208 has taken its place for me.

The most accurate powder I've used is 8208, though BLC2 was very close, and was the best until 8208.

I have never noticed that it produces any significant amount of smoke, so my guess is that the guy was running his AR with LOTS of lube, and that was what was actually burning. TAC is considerably cleaner than BLC2, at least at the loads I was running.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          TAC does very well for me, and until I found 8208 had become by favorite Grendel powder for bullets 120-29 grains. But XBR 8208 has taken its place for me.

The most accurate powder I've used is 8208, though BLC2 was very close, and was the best until 8208.

I have never noticed that it produces any significant amount of smoke, so my guess is that the guy was running his AR with LOTS of lube, and that was what was actually burning. TAC is considerably cleaner than BLC2, at least at the loads I was running.
                          outstanding! thanks for the input. well, i guess my only reservation about trying 8208 is that, from what the hodgdon guy said the min powder rating is around 2100 fps and max is about 2500 fps... it just seems slow to me. and i don't want to have that slow of velocity if i don't have to, ya know? i have access to an 800 yard range so i will be making shots at least that distance and need the extra velocity if i can get it. so far, with the 123 scenar and varget (28.2 grains) i'm getting consistant results at 2350 fps shooting .553" groups at 100 yards... but i'd still like to dial that in a bit more and be basically shooting through the same hole almost

Comment

BC is most important for 800 yds

High initial velocity doesn't mean much at 800yds. My long range load for shooting silhouette at 550yds is the 139 lapua with 27.2 gr of R-15.
                            That bullet has a BC of .615. It starts out low 2340fps but still has 850 ftlbs at the ram(550yds). This load takes the 35lb ram down. At 800yds
                            it still clocking 1410 fps and 613ftlbs.

Comment

Originally posted by in.dmand View Post
                              outstanding! thanks for the input. well, i guess my only reservation about trying 8208 is that, from what the hodgdon guy said the min powder rating is around 2100 fps and max is about 2500 fps... it just seems slow to me. and i don't want to have that slow of velocity if i don't have to, ya know?D
                              Hodgdon load data used a 24 inch barrel as is AA. I believe you said your's was 20 inches. Your 20 inch barrel will loose maybe about 80-100fps from published data using these two sources. If you feel the need to get that extra 100fps, AA 2520 is a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                              X