Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwilson1985

how much crip

how much crimp do yal do if any ..i have hornady dies so you know the seater/crimper are all in one i done it just to resistance just done 25 so far .hornady brass,205m primer, 30.6gr 2520,and lapua 123s...that is deffinetly a compressed load...my first time reloading for the grendel not to reloading though. im to picky i guess took me almost 2 hrs to do the 25 i did and i had already pre prepped them all. ive got to get a auto powder machine ...
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
    how much crimp do yal do if any ..i have hornady dies so you know the seater/crimper are all in one i done it just to resistance just done 25 so far .hornady brass,205m primer, 30.6gr 2520,and lapua 123s...that is deffinetly a compressed load...my first time reloading for the grendel not to reloading though. im to picky i guess took me almost 2 hrs to do the 25 i did and i had already pre prepped them all. ive got to get a auto powder machine ...
    I use the Lee FCD to put a light crimp on loads. I use a .287 bushing with 123gr Scenars and probably have sufficient neck tension to avoid using a crimp, but accuracy is better for me with a light crimp.

I don't care for the dies that both seat and crimp, as I would rather do it in two separate steps.

As for 30.6gr of 2520, be sure to work up to that load, as I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. I get light swipes with 29.5gr of 2520 in fired hornady brass using CCI #41 primers with 123gr Scenars.
    Last edited by Drifter; 09-17-2011, 04:55 AM.
    Drifter

Comment

• jwilson1985

as long as in dont blow up im not worried about the chamber....but so far im not liking the hornady brass

Comment

30.5 is Max with 2520 isn't it?? Regardless, my best groups have been with 30.5 grains of 2520.

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
          30.5 is Max with 2520 isn't it?? Regardless, my best groups have been with 30.5 grains of 2520.
          depends where u read 30.6-30.8 ....but im glad to hear ur success with it im used to reloading .308 ,30-30 ,223,and 7 mag,and many pistol. but this is a first on grendel and just didnt realise how compressed the load would be lol...the damn projectile is the size of the case

Comment

I have the hornady dies too, and wasn't sure about using the crimp feature or not.

Comment

I also have the Hornady dies, though I've done only one reloading session thus far. I removed the expander spindle from my resizing die and used no crimp on my loads with 107 Sierra HPBTs. I had no trouble seating those bullets.

Comment

I dont crimp with the grendel. Have had no problem.

Comment

I spoke with Hornady today about crimping, and they said not to do it unless the bullet you are using has a cannelure.

Comment

• jwilson1985

thats good to know thank you

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

No crimpy the Grendel, unless you are considering full auto...if you are the Lee factory crimper does a fine job.

I'm now upwards of 7000 handloads, no crimps, no misfires.

Comment

bwaites, why would you need to crimp on a full auto rifle as compared to a semi-auto?
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X