Divorce and gun show, not a good combo for me but need suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce and gun show, not a good combo for me but need suggestions.

OK guys here's the deal, I'm not posting this for pity's sake, it's mainly to keep my spirits up and for informational purposes. Tonight I left my wife and I'm pretty sure it's headed for divorce, long story short there was no major incident, things were just no longer meshing between us. Anyways there is a show that starts this weekend here in Tulsa ad seeing as how men need retail therapy as much as women in times of depression, I'm not walking away empty handed.
    I'm sure I'll pick up some new loud toy but I also want to go ahead and get started in reloading, now that I no longer need to speak to my wife of such things.
    Of course I'm not going to walk away with equipment and no supplies to play with. If they have Grendel brass great, if not I'll just order some.
    Here's where I need help. I'm sure they will have .264 bullets so I'll pick those up as well as primers and powder. What I'm wanting to load is a nice hunting round (Med sized game so 120g area) but I also want it to use as a paper and steel round, so nothing to costly.
    I need suggestions on bullet brand and type, powder, brass if they have any, and primers ( if I remember correctly it seems like most guys fire cci 450 I think).

No amount of toys will make up for family. Guns are tools for deterring those who would think to take our freedoms in my book, but family comes first for me. In my family, they go hand-in-hand, but the focus is preservation & protection of the family. If you have a good wife, maybe you can salvage things.

Comment

Well I definitely said more than I wanted to. But that was 0200 and I was about to pass out from exhaustion.
      Thanks LR, even though that's not what I was aiming for, I appreciate the sentiment all the same. And, I completely agree with you.
      Now on to suggestions.

Comment

I'm am in LRRPF52's camp with respect to the importance of family.

From a practical point of view -- this is an excellent time to avoid flirting with pretty (or not so pretty) girls. In this day and age of ubiquitous cameras, even an innocent conversation that begets laughter can be costly. That applies whether you have hopes of repairing things with your spouse or you truly go your separate ways. Those pics would be worth big time $$$ if you go to a settlement or make the separation irreparable.

The Speer HotCor and the Sierra ProHunter seem to be of interest to a lot of folks, they are relatively inexpensive, and is in the weight range you're looking for.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• RangerRick

The Remington Core-Lokt 120's are pretty accurate and cheap. The BC isn't great, so long range will suffer. What range are you thinking about for these?

RR

Comment

JA, trust me I have no intentions of having anything to do with "pretty girls." Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, and family, I agree is more important than anything. However, sometimes things just get to a point where it's better for two people to go their separate ways regardless of how much love is there. You want to know the cruel irony in all this? Our anniversary is next week. Anyways.
            Rick, for now I'll be staying on game under 300yds, however in the near future, after much practice I will be going on a hunt on my cousins ranch in TX. So, a high BC would be nice due to the majority of shots on their ranch will have to be taken beyond 400yds. Not much cover and a lot of flat ground, so no sneaky, sneaky, bang.

Comment

Originally posted by buckbustn View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, and family, I agree is more important than anything. However, sometimes things just get to a point where it's better for two people to go their separate ways regardless of how much love is there.
              No. They don't. You're saying 2 different things here. One of them is a lie.

I'd think twice about reloading. It's work too.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Guys, I'm not going to tolerate much picking. The man asked for a specific set of questions and asked for specific advice, and that did NOT include personal counseling or decision making, nor did it involve marital advice.

If he shared a bit more than he might have, he did so in a time of high stress, we are not going to help by giving him more things to deal with.

Please limit any further answers to the specifics of his questions!

We all, or at least most of us, believe that family is the most important thing there is, lets leave it at that.

Comment

Bill, if you want just delete this thread, and I can start a new one about the specifics of my post. Yes, I said more than I intended to, but as you said, "high stress." For those that meant well I appreciate the sentiment, even though it was off course from what I originally intended. However I will not tolerate snide remarks by someone who presumes to know me or my situation, and in fact knows nothing. And I dang sure won't be called a liar or be told not to reload because "it's work too," by someone who probably has no concept of work, lives in mommy and daddy's basement, and has no understanding of life beyond the internet.
                  I think I've said to much again, but the idiocy and audacity of people who just want to be witless appalls me.

Comment

Nosler Ballistic Tip in 100 gr. and 120 gr. shoot well in my Grendel. Folks report mixed results with these bullets on game; however, my experience is that it's where you hit them, not so much what you hit them with.

Comment

Yep Al, if you use a 50bmg and get a crappy hit it is still a crappy shot placement.

Consider bow hunters for an example, not a lot of ass shot deer are recovered.

Comment

been there on the big "D" issue, so moving on to therapy I have yet to try the Barnes banded 110gr --- Sierria 123grs excellant,, Hornady 123grs amax is a go. personally love the CCI primers, TAC works good for me as well as AA2520.. try to get the Redding die set for the loading as the neck tentsion can be adjusted to your rifle. just my 2 cents on the toys. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        X