Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gophernuts

My Sierra 120gr SPT Range Report.

Got out shooting to test some hunting loads for the up and coming deer season. So here is my report all fast and furious like...

The Stick...
    Home built set up with an 18in Liberty barrel and a WCI brake.
    Rock River two stage trigger.
    3x9x40 Bushnell HD Rainguard Scope

The Conditions...
    Slight drizzle
    no wind
    about 62 degrees
    typical crappy North Dakota conditions

I was testing various different loads with XBR 8208 adn these new bullets and what ended up winning was...

The Load...

Lapua Brass 2.253COAL 120GR Sierra SPT 28.6gr XBR8208 CCI 450SMR Primers
    I even remembered my chrono and it averaged out at 2483FPS
    I think that's all that matters.

I had 3 groups like this, but you should all get the point. Range was 107 yards verified by my leica rangefinder and my pace count.

Grendel shot group.jpgGrendel Complete.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 01:30 AM.

What brand and model of magazine do you use? I would like to get some. Even with my c_bass16 modded ones, I can only get 2.40 COAL.

Thanks,

Hoot

Comment

• gophernuts

Correction.....2.253 coal.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Great information, I will be using it in my load development for the Sierra SPT(Pro-Hunter). Thanks
        Last week, I posted my range report for the same bullet using varget. I worked OK but I want to try either TAC or 8208.
        Well, I finally got a chance to get to the range today and give some of my reloads a try. Unfortunately, the range was very busy because it was a nice sunny day and the wind was up a bit. But, I took out some of the 120gr Sierra Pro Hunter Soft Point bullets today. I loaded them into AA cases using 30.2 grains of 2520. I

Comment

Originally posted by gophernuts View Post
          Correction.....2.53 coal.
          I think you were right the first time 2.253 and Hoot was probably 2.240. The best I could load my SPH was 2.224 but the groups were nice n'tight.
          One thing I can't quite figure out is why I'm getting 2515-2535fps on my 120g NBT's with 28.5g of 8208 but only mid-upper 2400's with the other 120gr bullets (SPH and Core-Lokt) using the same load. You would think the 120gr bullets would all be pretty close in velocity.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• gophernuts

I'm curious as to what kinds of velocity I could get out of those 100gr Nosler partition rounds? Has anybody tried those out yet. A we bit expensive for me and to be honest, I'm shocked at the accuracy of the Sierra's. It will serve well as a 400yd white tail getter.

Comment

• gophernuts

I would say to go with the 8208. It meters so well, gives good velocity, and several people on the boards here will speak to that same effect. I use it for .223 and my grendel. You saw the results, it works quite well. I am curious to see how sensitive it will be this winter though, I will have to follow up with another testing when it gets colder outside.

Comment

Working...
              X