Min and Max loads for Ramshot Tac (specifically 123 gr Scenar)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Min and Max loads for Ramshot Tac (specifically 123 gr Scenar)?

Hey guys... trying to find resource for the min and max loads for this powder. just got some in and wanting to give it a try. Gonna work up a ladder between the min and max load ranges to see which is most accurate =)

I think your gas system and barrel length will determine that, but for me with a 16" mid-length, I started with 26.0gr and worked up. I could have started at 27.5gr, but once you start getting close to/around 30.0gr, you are pushing it.

27.2gr gave me 2277 fps

This was with Moly-coated Scenars, which I probably won't use again unless I find that I can get faster velocities than naked, but there isn't much powder volume in the Grendel to work with for the longer projectiles. I went to 120 SMK's after that, then 100gr NBT's. People seem to using Moly less and less nowadays.

I never worked up the 123gr Scenar after that, but lots of other guys have. The longer your dwell time, the more limited you will be. The more conventional your gas port-to-muzzle distance is, the more leeway you will have.

I was able to get the 120 SMK's to 2527 fps out of my 16" pipe. I would like to get the 100gr NBT's to 2750 at least out of the shorter barrel.

Comment

My max load on TAC pushing a 123 AMAX was 28.5
      28.2 shot well as did 28.5

@ 28.5 you are at max load data, just a few psi under 52K

Be careful, start low and work up, inspect your rifle as well as the brass.

Comment

thanks both of you... well, from what it looked like on the alexander arms website's reloading data for the grendel, the 120 grain bullets can be loaded max of 28.8. it looks like the reloading data (as far as powder goes) almost parallels each other between the 120gr and the 123gr bullets... i think i'm going to do a ladder of 4 groups of 5 rounds each, 28.0, 28.2, 28.4, and 28.6. i will go slowly as you say and inspect both my weapon and casings. i will be using hornady casings that have been used 4-5 times, think this will be a problem? they still seem to be in excellent condition and i have never had to trim them (they are still within spec). is 52k psi about the max you want to push this thing?

heck, i may even go lower down to 27.6 and work my way up from there... that would make 6 groups of 5 each.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2011, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

50-52000 PSI is definitely max.

Most of us have found that the Grendel tends to shoot its best towards the top end of the load data, but no one I've heard of has found a load above max that shot better.

As you get closer to max loads, expect those primer pockets to get loose in less than 6 firings.

I've never trimmed Grendel brass, and I have 20 plus firings on some of my Lapua. At these pressures, good brass doesn't seem to stretch much.

Comment

Just for comparison, wasn't Black Hill's 123 Match King loaded with about 30gr of Tac?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

One of the threads from the old forum had that load, and it was in that neighborhood.

Bill

Comment

30 grs of Tac sounds a bit stiff for the SMK. The max load listed by Ramshot will be 28.2 grs with a pressure of just under 52,000 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  30 grs of Tac sounds a bit stiff for the SMK. The max load listed by Ramshot will be 28.2 grs with a pressure of just under 52,000 psi.
                  Where did you find this info?

Comment

It was a private communication from a Ramshot Ballistician and I was told the data will be part of their next load manual.

He gave me permission to post the data on Ammoguide.com so you could join and get that and more or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                    X