Reloader 10X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloader 10X

I have a bunch of 10X and would like try try it in my Grendel with 100gr bullets. Anyone have any experience with 10x they would like to share?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Too fast. Several guys will report about their experiences, but if I remember right, they all basically said that it was unpredictable and that they could not get consistent results.

Comment

Interesting, I wonder why Hornady chose 10X as one of their powders for the 95gr V-Max?

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

i had great results with it in some 5.56 loads, cant speak for it on the 6.5 though,

i like it pretty well for 5.56/.223

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
          Interesting, I wonder why Hornady chose 10X as one of their powders for the 95gr V-Max?
          I think the numbers look good, and it is possible with the very light bullets that you might have success. Everyone on the old board that had tried it had left it behind.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

mseric, by stating you have a bunch, what amount are you talking about, and what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              mseric, by stating you have a bunch, what amount are you talking about, and what are your thoughts?
              "A bunch", I have about 3 1/2 pounds left. Thoughts, I was disappointed in the terminal performance of the 120gr Nosler BT on Whitetails last fall. This year I decided to switch to the lighter 100gr Barnes TTSX. My go to powder with the 120gr BT was 2520. With the lighter 100gr I feel I should use a faster powder. I am pretty happy with my TTSX load with H-322, but I have a few powders on my bench that I would like to try.

I have the following powders that may work in the Grendel with 100gr bullets.
              10-x
              X-t
              IMR 4198
              H-4198
              H-322
              Benchmark
              IMR 3031
              N-200
              N-201
              N-130

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

m-eric-- I talked to the guys at ramshot-accurate arms, and asked the big question-- is 2230 & x-term the same powder? they said yes it is. I'm thinking of switching to Imr 8208, why ? To gain a 100 fps. in speed . I remember talking to LR1955 a while back of 10-x, and he said - let it go!

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                  m-eric-- I talked to the guys at ramshot-accurate arms, and asked the big question-- is 2230 & x-term the same powder? they said yes it is. I'm thinking of switching to Imr 8208, why ? To gain a 100 fps. in speed . I remember talking to LR1955 a while back of 10-x, and he said - let it go!
                  Suspected as much, I suspect TAC and 2520 are also very close if not identical.

Comment

Yeah, I talked to Johan at Western Powders a few months ago about X-T and 2230. He told me they were the same burn rate and that load data was interchangeable. Don't know if that means they are the exact same powder out of the same batch with different packaging or what.
                    Thing is their own load data says otherwise. For example, in the Grendel with 100gr Nosler BT with 2.230 OAL, AA 2230 has a max load of 28.1gr at 2636fps, while Ramshot data for X-T lists a Max load of 29.7gr at 2709fps both running at 51K++ psi. If they are the same and their load data is interchangeable, why the big difference in their own data?

I found his email response.

Yes for all practical purposes it’s the same burn rate.

Therefore the same loads will apply.

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Ramshot.Accurate Powders
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

It's the same powder- out of same giant jug-barrel ( marketing strategies, they spoke of )== load as same as , they said to me . X-term is a great powder. Way clean, easy to dial in, find the top end. ,,, and it's accurate too.

Comment

• longdayjake

I personally used the 100 grain ttsx to shoot an elk last year. My load was 28 grains of aa2230. It was getting me around 2800 feet per second from my 20" barrel. As I am sure you know, I am about to try them out with aa2200 which is about as fast as 10x. My personal experience with the Grendel is that faster powders really make a difference with the light bullets. I would not use a faster powder for anything heavier than 100 grains though.

Comment

• BenchRider

One of the first loads I ran in my Grendel was 28.0 gr of AA2460 behind a Sierra Varminter 100gr bullet. Because I didn't have the modified case for the Grendel to put on the comparator stick, I mistakenly loaded them to mag length and thought I was good to go. Single loading them from a bench produced the best 5-shot group I've ever done at 200 yards.

Might have had something to do with the fact that they were firmly and thoroughly stuffed into the rifling every time the carrier went forward. Never saw a hint of pressure indications. Runs about 2800 fps out of my 28 inch barrel.

I *might* have got the idea to run AA2460 off somebody on the old forum...something about 'magical' with 100-108 gr projectiles...

Comment

mseric,

I think your difference is in the politics. I have run across the same issues in the past with powders, and I have actually seen the exact same manual (different edition) have the exact same load data with lower charge recommendations. I contacted the company to see why this was, and they, in a turnabout way, told me that it's pretty much for legal liability purposes... If someone reports that they loaded the max load, but still within the manual, and the gun blew up on them or something, then the company can be held liable for that because they printed it.

So this might be the same case, and it's two different companies, but one is more "cautious" than the other in the data release... I would assume its a CYA for the company...

Comment

• RangerRick

You may want to try AA 2460 too. It works well with 100 grain bullets in the Grendel.

RR

Comment

Working...
                              X