what the cheapest bullet for plinking? 120gr corelokt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the cheapest bullet for plinking? 120gr corelokt?

I was lookign for some cheap bullet for plinking. Most of my shots are 100 yards at the local range. I noticed that Midway has bulk packs of the remington 120gr corelokt bullet. As long as you buy 500 bullets, the cost only $0.22 per bullet head.

I'd love to find some bulk deals on hornady 123 gn amax bullets. anyone know of any bulk deals on those?

Look on page 3 "Midway has Amax 123's in stock" , there was a discussion on where to find with best pricing on amax. Would have posted a link but don't know how, sorry.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I've not seen bulk deals, but I've seen them priced as slow as $22/100, which is essentially the same as the corelokt.

They seem fairly commonly priced at $0.24 per bullet if you shop a little, and I'd pay 2 cents extra apiece to shoot them.

Comment

My Remington corelockts shoot real good out past 250 yards. Mine group under .75 inches @ 100 yards. Why spend the extra money for plinking? And they kill real well @ that distance too. Investing in couple of thousand all around cheap bullets to have "just in case" is prudent.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          I've not seen bulk deals, but I've seen them priced as slow as $22/100, which is essentially the same as the corelokt.

They seem fairly commonly priced at $0.24 per bullet if you shop a little, and I'd pay 2 cents extra apiece to shoot them.
          I called Hornady and asked about Bulk 123 amax. They said they don't currently offer it, but that they would note that there is interest. I also told them that there is a market for a basic plinking round (for 100-200 yard target ranges), and that no such bullet currently exists for the grendel. The salesperson genuinel seemed interested when I told her that.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Speer 120 Spitzer is available at Powder Valley for $18.25/100. At Midway Rem120 Corelokt's are $27.99/100.

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

I use the RP Corelocks in other calibers as they are truly cheaper in bulk. (Usually in a generic box) But in 6.5 120g they are not, in fact they are usually the same or more expensive then better bullets.

I used to use the Speer 120 hotcores for plinking but when the 123 Amax's were available for $22 I loaded up. Not worth the 4 cent difference to use the cheaper bullet. The amax's just work too well.

For a while I was finding cheap 90-100g (usually Hornady) 6.5 that worked well, but now they are about as much as the 120's, so I just standardized on the 120's.

Likewise, the 120 & 123 SMK's are a third more than I found the AMAX's for, and I do not see a noticeable difference.

I think supply/demand is making 6.5 bullets more expensive. All have gone up due to metal cost, but 6.5 more than others. When you can buy heavier bullets in the same mfg/style for less you know it's a supply demand thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                Speer 120 Spitzer is available at Powder Valley for $18.25/100. At Midway Rem120 Corelokt's are $27.99/100.
                that's why I said you have to buy the corelokt in bulk...either 500, 1000. or 2000 rounds.

Comment

speer hot core is cheapest that I have found. brassman brass has some 139' s cheap, but there has been some discussion on fitting them to 2.26" oal

Comment

The end of July I bought a box of 500 - 120g Core-Lokt bullets from Midwayusa for $94.00. That comes out to $18.80/100. Sounded like a good hog round for penetration and it expands well. They aren't shooting quite as well as the 120g SPH's but that might be the difference between using TAC with the SPH and 8208 w/the RCL's. Next range day I'll shoot RCL's with TAC to see if they tighten up.

Comment

I found 120 gr Speer HotCores to be not quite as accurate and not quite as cheap as the 120 CorLoct. The big deciding factor was finding the Remingtons in BULK. I now probably have as many as I will ever need. So if bullet supply drys up again I'll be set. I still buy small batches of new or premium bullets to work up for fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X