IMR 8208XBR and AA2520 Best All-Around Powders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

IMR 8208XBR and AA2520 Best All-Around Powders?

:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

I once tried going down the "one powder" path. You wouldn't believe the number of different powders I now have...

Some might find the notion of one powder for the bulk of their shooting very attractive. Like a lot of the rest of us suckers for exploration, they may have to accept that there will be a few other bottles of powder in the locker too.

Back to the question, a lot of us prefer the heavier bullets while others the lighter. The lead-free mandate also allows one to get heavy bullet hunting performance from bullets in the 85 to 107 grain class. That might tip the scales toward 8208 for the folks whose principal shooting is hunting with 2520 in reserve for heavier bullets when doing long range competitive shooting.

CFE 223 also seems to do well over a spectrum of weights even though the faster loads seem to have significant compression with most weights below about 140 grains. Temperature sensitivity, however, might swing the votes toward another powder.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

A guy who goes the one-powder route accepts that he is making compromises. But, as I've studied it, the nature of those compromises is not that great, in this case. For the 6.5 Grendel, we're talking 25 to 50 fps difference for the top three powders, which — if memory serves — translates to only 1/8-inch of wind drift difference or so at 300 yards. Things could be worse!

Having said that, of course there's always room for the very, very best bullet/powder combination. I'm really wanting to see someone wring out a 123gr with LEVERevolution. . . .
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I've frequently flirted with the notion that I can get things simplified to one or two rifle powders, but it sounds like I have had the same luck as JASmith. To your question, BFT, and of the two you mention, I would have to say that 8208 has the clear advantage. This is principally due to the present and foreseeable scarceness of 2520. I can't remember the last time I saw it on the shelves, and Midway has not yet sent me an in-stock-now alert.

My 123 Amax accuracy load is still 28 grains of 8208. Better to hit at 2600 fps than miss at 2700, I would say.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          A guy who goes the one-powder route accepts that he is making compromises. But, as I've studied it, the nature of those compromises is not that great, in this case. For the 6.5 Grendel, we're talking 25 to 50 fps difference for the top three powders, which — if memory serves — translates to only 1/8-inch of wind drift difference or so at 300 yards. Things could be worse!

Having said that, of course there's always room for the very, very best bullet/powder combination. I'm really wanting to see someone wring out a 123gr with LEVERevolution. . . .
          BFT:

I have never been able to get any CFE-223 so don't know about it but I have used a bunch of 8208 and 2520. 8208 is too fast for anything over 123 grain but 2520 seems to encompass the entire spectrum pretty efficiently.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Depends how efficient you want to be I guess.

You could settle on one or two powders. If you have one barrel length and have a couple of favourite projectiles.

Using Quickload to compare; with a 123SST in an 18.8" barrel and 57mm OAL.

For 8208, 27.6gn is highest before SAAMI. Shows 2,450fps and 97% burnt.
            H4895 is 28.2 max before SAAMI. Shows 2,488fps and 96.5% powder burnt.

Is that extra 38fps is worth it?

For 8208 - When hunting it drops below 1,800fps at 380M, and for target shooting goes subsonic at 945M.

For H4895 - When hunting it drops below 1,800fps at 405M, and goes subsonic at 970M.

Choosing the best powder over a good standard like say, 8208 might get you an extra 25M of effective range.

Probably better to concentrate on the powder that gives the most accuracy. Like the old saying goes, 'Only hits kill.'

Comment

• Joseph5
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

I would have to say in my mind and my limited loading experience with the Grendel I would go with CFE223. I have 8208, AR Comp, H335, and CFE223. The CFE is the only one I have used yet. I have loaded 100gr and 123gr AMAX and 123SST with it with excellent results. I would love to get some AA2520 to try but it has been non-existent since the plant where it is made in Belgium went KABOOM, or at least a part of it did. I will probably trade the 8208 for one of the other powders I listed. What is killing me right now is I keep seeing 8 pound jugs of powder I want listed on GunBot but it is never when I have money to spend on such things.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Guys.

I forgot to add that TAC is a powder that also encompasses the entire range of bullet weights that are practical for the Grendel. Guys used it with bullet weights from 85 grains to 140 grains with very good success. It may even be a bit better than 2520 as an all around powder.

LR55

Comment

• Jakal
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

I have loads worked up for two guns. TAC for both, AR-COMP for my Bartlein barrel and CFE223 for my Lilja barrel. 123 SST and Scenar bullets.

CFE should be lower on the list because of temperature sensitivity and it won't group in my Bartlein.
                  AR-COMP's speeds are a little slower but I think accuracy is better than CFE, it seems more forgiving and better SDs / ES's on the chronograph.

Once I run all the CFE I have, I'll standardize on TAC or AR-COMP.
                  ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I have never found any A2520 to buy in the last six years. I did see some AR-Comp on the shelf a couple of months ago. I have been able to find CFE223 and H-335 consistently in my area. I have a pound of IMR8208XBR but I've never used any but the 8208 is close to the price of Viht N-133 or N-135.

My rifles like CFE223 so I've never bought any LeveRevolution even though it can be found locally. I have used TAC and A2230/Xterminator which I also like in the 6.5 Grendel. I haven't seen any A2230 or Xterminator for sale in a couple years.

Because of availability I have used CFE223 and H-335 the most in the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• pds
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2012

My velocity testing with 123gr. bullets makes me lean toward CFE 223 as a good overall powder in the Grendel, with Alliant 2000MR a very close second. This powder appears to be just slightly slower than CFE having to add about .5grs more powder to get the same velocities. If I were to pursue the 90-107gr. class bullets I would likely look hard at 8208 and/or AR Comp powders.

pds

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

TAC and 2520 are very close, though not identical. Xterminator and AA2230 are the SAME powder, just branded differently.

TAC runs close to 2520 velocity wise. The problem is that both are temp sensitive. I have found that to get max performance from each, I have to summer load (temps here in the mid 90-110 range) and winter load, (temps in the 0-40 range).

I have blown up a bolt in .223 running my safe TAC winter loads in the summer. Blew out the mag, but no other damage to the rifle apart from the bolt.

CFE has a much gentler power curve than any of the above or XBR 8208 if you are using 120 and up Bullets. I haven't been able to make it shoot lighter Bullets real well.

I do try to run a half dozen CFE loads down the pipe in all my rifles when I am done shooting for the day, and it really seems to have cut down on copper cleaning.
                        Last edited by bwaites; 12-20-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Sputnik
                          Warrior
                          • May 2013

I have no scientific data of my own, but in researching all the load data, and preferred loads and other treads that I could find here, I went the 3 powder option. Mainly for availability/non-availability reasons as I started only two and a half years ago. Usually, if one is not available, one of the others is. I have only shot 123 Amax and 123 SST punching paper, but my research had shown that good results were achieved by many members with 28.5 gr of 8208, 27.7 gr of AR Comp, and 30.6 gr of CFE-223; again for the 123 gr pills. I think those keeps me safely under the danger zone, with my 18 and 20 inch rifles. Just my $.02. I have found that in this area of eastern Carolina, I believe 8208 to be the most abundant.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

I haven't started reloading for the Grr yet and still need to get the books. Right now I have AA2495, Varget, IMR4895, W231, H110, and W780 Supreme.
                            Has anyone found a decent load with any of these?

ETA: Sorry if this is to far off topic.

Comment

• pds
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                              I haven't started reloading for the Grr yet and still need to get the books. Right now I have AA2495, Varget, IMR4895, W231, H110, and W780 Supreme.
                              Has anyone found a decent load with any of these?

ETA: Sorry if this is to far off topic.
                              tech, W231, H110 are pistol powders do not use them in your grendel handloads. Others listed are rifle powders.

pds

Comment

Working...
                              X