Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clod Stomper

844 or 846 Surplus Powder

I tried a search, but turned up nothing.

Has anyone tried these surplus powders in the Grendel?

Sold here by Widener's

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply has ammo and reloading supplies for sale at cheap prices. Find out why we're the best deal on the web today!

I figure if nothing else, they may be good for fireforming.

Thanks,

Will

i have used the 844 in my .223 gun and have got great accuracy. i was shooting 1/2" groups with 69 grain sierras. The burn rate of the 844 is soposed to be pretty close to h335 and the burn rate of the 846 is soposed to be like blc-2. i have a tub of each and am going to try them with the grendel as soon as my barrel gets here.

Comment

$94 bucks and they pay the hazmat fee. Please keep us informed as to how well it shoots.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Clod Stomper View Post
        I tried a search, but turned up nothing.

Has anyone tried these surplus powders in the Grendel?

Sold here by Widener's

I figure if nothing else, they may be good for fireforming.

Thanks,

Will
        I always advise people that surplus powder is similar to a commercial variety only if you are using the same cartridge and bullet weight. If you vary either you can get over your head very quickly.

Bottom line is that you will get into trouble if you go with H-335, BLC-2, or 748 load data and vary the cartridge or bullet weight or both from 5.56 or 7.62 and 62 grains and 150 grains respectively.

I believe I started with 28 grains of both powders with the Grendel and the 120 Sierra and worked up to 28 1/2. If I recall correctly, I didn't really note any differences between powders -- which is an indicator something isn't right. 28 grains of both powders seemed to be rough but not dangerous. So, I went to 28 1/2 grains and in my opinion the situation shifted from acceptable to very dangerous.

If anyone here thinks the US military powders will react the same ways as commercial powders when you change bullets or cartridges, you are more wrong than right.

So, you better watch it with any US surplus powder if you intend on using them in cartridges and loads other than what was issued.

LR1955

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that it could act THAT differently from commercial powder. If I were to buy any, I wasn't going to use load data for another powder. Just use relative burn rate to find a starting charge and work up carefully.

If it starts acting strange in my Grendel, I have plenty of both 5.56 and 7.62 brass and bullets to fill.

Before I buy any, I'll have to find some friends to split a case with. I might get a couple containers, but I can't afford 6.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

Working...
          X