More on the bigger pills.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the bigger pills.

I spent the day at the range working on some loads and a box of 140 gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets I just got. I have been shooting 139 gr Scenars and 142 gr SMK's, I started low though because it is a new bullet. The Nosler CC's are shorter than the other two but they have more bearing surface than both. I was working with LVR (my favorite), 8208, and 2520. After a previous post and questions reagarding my crono's calibration and my velocity readings I tested my crono against a .22LR with a published velocity, my crono actually read a hair lower but I had it 15' from my muzzle so that is probably about right, long story short I think my crono is accurate. It was a good day for shooting with only a slight 5mph wind in my face.

All shots were from a 20" barrel.
    140 gr Nosler CC's.
    CCI 450 primers.
    Hornady brass.
    five shot groups.

LVR
    30 gr.
    2353 fps average.
    19 fps extreme spread.
    7 fps standard deviation.

200 yard group.
    Shanes phone 501.jpg

30.2 gr.
    2372 fps average velocity.
    26 fps extreme spread.
    9 fps standard deviation.

200 yard group.
    Shanes phone 500.jpg

The groups aren't great but I think they will tighten up with some tweaking on the seating depth.

26.5 gr.
    2302 fps average.
    37 fps extreme spread.
    12 fps standard deviation.

27 gr.
    2323 fps average.
    30 fps extreme spread.
    11 fps standard deviation.

Didn't shoot for accuracy yet, but I think there is promise here.

29 gr.
    2354 fps average.
    49 fps extreme spread.
    17 fps standard deviation.

Lousy accuracy, and ejector marks which I always seem to get with this powder even with lighter loads/published loads.

On a side note if there is interest in my Scenar and SMK loads I will post them.

What size are the orange target dots? If they're the one inch dots, those groups aren't too shabby.

Thanks for posting the info. Those are better velocities that I would have guessed for such heavy bullets.

Comment

They are the two inch Target dots, but in both groups three shots are within 3/4" of each other.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Have you bedded your gas block and barrel extension? On the old forum, there was a discussion about how loc-tite applied to the gas block and barrel nut would eliminate vertical stringing in the Grendel. I was talking with Bill Alexander the other day, and he said a certain percentage of rifles would shoot great, but some just wouldn't for some reason. After bedding the gas blocks and barrel nuts, they all grouped extremely well.

Have you tried the 130 VLD's? They will single feed at least, so you should be able to get faster speeds with them. They actually worked for me in the .260 Rem AR10, and I was able to get sub-MOA groups at 700m in shifting winds, but I was running them at 2820 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Have you bedded your gas block and barrel extension? On the old forum, there was a discussion about how loc-tite applied to the gas block and barrel nut would eliminate vertical stringing in the Grendel. I was talking with Bill Alexander the other day, and he said a certain percentage of rifles would shoot great, but some just wouldn't for some reason. After bedding the gas blocks and barrel nuts, they all grouped extremely well.

Have you tried the 130 VLD's? They will single feed at least, so you should be able to get faster speeds with them. They actually worked for me in the .260 Rem AR10, and I was able to get sub-MOA groups at 700m in shifting winds, but I was running them at 2820 fps.
          No I haven't bedded anything, Les Baer built the rifle and it will shoot one hole groups on average. I think it is just a new bullet I need to tweak a load for.

I have shot 130 VLD's but only seated to mag length and they wouldn't shoot that way.

Comment

what oal????

Comment

Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
              what oal????
              For the Noslers?

Comment

yes, the 140
                they weren't magazine length were they ?

Comment

Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
                  yes, the 140
                  they weren't magazine length were they ?
                  You bet they were, actually the 30gr. Load was seated a little deeper.

Comment

Working...
                  X