Mag max COL is 2.295in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag max COL is 2.295in

Is COL of 2.295in within reloading specs for the bullets available for the 6.5 Grendel?

Originally posted by Varoum View Post
    Is COL of 2.295in within reloading specs for the bullets available for the 6.5 Grendel?
    Don't ask me for lots of examples, but I'd say for some yes and for some no. The Nosler Ballistic Tip 100 and 120 both can not be loaded that long in my particular chamber. I'm at work right now, but IIRC, I could load the 123 Amax that long in my particular chamber. The key here is each chamber varies a little and there's no substitution for using an overall length gauge to determine the maximum COL for a particular bullet in your particular chamber.

Hoot

Comment

Another thing to look at too is that the magazine length (that I have anyway) is only 2.275". Do you really want to have a semi-automatic single shot? For long range, one shot deals, that's fine, but what if you are hunting and need a follow up?

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
        Another thing to look at too is that the magazine length (that I have anyway) is only 2.275". Do you really want to have a semi-automatic single shot? For long range, one shot deals, that's fine, but what if you are hunting and need a follow up?
        If yours is longer, what do you have???

Comment

I just measured the inner OAL of a 25rd CProducts mag I have. It was 2.300". As the cartridges stack in the mag, a straight mag might not facilitate the longest COAL, but a curved might. I wouldn't load over 2.280" with AMAX's, NBT's, and other polymer-tipped projectiles with uniform lengths, and I wouldn't load over 2.250" with Scenars & SMK's, or other HPBT match rounds. The reason is that I see a lot of variance in meplat dimensions with the SMK's the most, the Scenars 2nd, and Bergers about on-par with Scenars. I have a meplat uniformer from Tubbs, but I haven't bothered to use it yet. These are COALs only taking into consideration the maximum allowable mag length loads, not your chamber and engagement of the projectile with the lands.

There were guys on the old forum using PRI 6.8 mags with longer allowable COAL, pushing really hot loads, but I wouldn't recommend it.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Want to build a custom match grade Mini-14. Mag is accepting ammo up to 2.295in. Do I have your blessing?

Not 14 but the 30
            Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Want to build a custom match grade Mini-14. Mag is accepting ammo up to 2.295in. Do I have your blessing?
              I'm interested, never seen a match grade Mini-14, most I've seen have a hard time making 1 MOA at 100 yards, much less better!

Go for it, and let us know how it proceeds! That would be a neat rifle!

Comment

I think you should start with a Mini-30 and yes they can shoot sub moa, but it'll cost you. Call Carl at http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php . Great guy to deal with.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Mini thirty does make more sense, same size bolt head.

Comment

• StoneTower

The question is why? You can build an AR15 platform yourself for much less and in the end, you will have more options. If you live in a state like California where you need a mag lock if you have a pistol grip on the gun, I could see the attraction. The last I checked, you can't change calibers on a Mini-14/Mini-30 by popping off the upper and changing mags.

Comment

Originally posted by lou400a View Post
                      I think you should start with a Mini-30 and yes they can shoot sub moa, but it'll cost you. Call Carl at http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php . Great guy to deal with.

I have contacted them.

Sorry for the typo. It is a Ruger Mini-30 not the 14. Sorry again.

Most ARs are restricted weapons up here in Canada. Firing range home and no where else And no hunting Mag capacity limited to 5 rounds only if capable of more rounds one has to put a rivet to lock capacity to 5 rounds. Same for handguns home firing range only no hunting.

Thanks guys.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• StoneTower

I have contacted them.

Sorry for the typo. It is a Ruger Mini-30 not the 14. Sorry again.

Most ARs are restricted weapons up here in Canada. Firing range home and no where else And no hunting Mag capacity limited to 5 rounds only if capable of more rounds one has to put a rivet to lock capacity to 5 rounds. Same for handguns home firing range only no hunting.

Thanks guys.
                        I did not know that you were in Canada or know about the restriction in Canada. That is an excellent reason to look at a Mini-30.

I live in California and we have similar legal issues with ARs. Unless the AR was registered before 2000, the AR style rifle requires a maglock (the best type is a bullet button which requires a tool to drop the magazine). If you have a maglock equipped rifle (fixed magazine) you cannot have more than a 10 round magazine inserted or you are breaking the law. If you do not have a pistol grip or any "evil" features (there are several listed features) you can have a standard mag release but you have to use a non-pistol grip like the Monsterman grip. The discovery of the maglock loophole in the law about 5 years ago led to the OLL (Off List Lower) craze in California. A OLL is a lower that is not specifically listed by name on a list of banned weapons in California.

Best of luck,

David

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Ok, back on topic.... Not necessarily. I have gotten 120 grain Sierra Matchkings stuck in the rifling of a Grendel chamber when loaded to magazine length. When mortaring it out, it pulled the bullet out of the case instead of pulling it out of the rifling. What a mess.

Test each bullet separately.

Will

Comment

My 100 grain and 120 grain TTSX's are both loaded to 2.260 which is plenty of clearance, and allows a crimp if you want one, which I haven't found necessary. Loads for the 120 gr are challenging in the sub 16 inch barrels, but leverevolution works well in 16 inch and up. I've got screaming loads for the 100 grains TTSX with H335 in all length barrels, including 2600 fps in a 14 inch Thompson Center Handgun. The Ogive in the TTSX is a little steeper allowing for this, which is good because the solid guilding metal construction makes the bullet long and takes up a lot of case capacity that you don't have to deal with when you're using a bullet like a lead core 123 gr Amax. I've just shot so many animals with one shot kills in the Americas and in Africa with TTSX's, mostly in 6.5 calibers, that it's hard for me to get away from them, especially with their accuracy (watch your twist rate).

Comment

I have updated my profile. English is my second language, sorry guys.

Since the 6.5 Grendel is going be part of my life. I am sure. I will be asking and sharing information with you all.

Hornady book 8th edition used a 14.5in barrel in 7.5 twist. For the barrel, I want a 24in with what twist rate? I like the Hornady A-max BC .510 and I have been recommended the Nosler Partition 125gr bullet for hunting deer. Grooves? 5R?

I also like boar hunting. Not in the wild here but with outfitters. Got one last week with a .308.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X