quick formula for 100 yard plinking loads???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick formula for 100 yard plinking loads???

Here's what I'll be using:

Wolf Brass
    CCI Primers
    8208 XBR Powder
    Hornady 123 Amax bullets

I'm not concerned about accuracy, just a quickie powder load for this setup. Just going plinking this weekend with my son....shooting woth iron sights and/or eotech up to 100 yards.

28 grs of powder sound like a basic, safe load?

The Hodgdon web site suggests a starting load of 25.5 grs IMR 8208 XBR for the 123 gr Sierra bullet. The resulting lower velocity might be OK for the short range shooting you describe.

The maximum listed is 28.5 grs with 50000 PSI. Your load is below that, but remember that different bullets produce different pressures, etc. etc.

Comment

that's only a half grain under max. I might personally drop to 27 grains as I like to start at least 1.5gns under max but by the book it's ok. To qualify that: I never attempt to just load up anything that close to max. Max pressures are just wear and tear on the components of the gun anyway. Really, I'd say stick at 27gns and enjoy. Later on when you get more time you can experiment with bringing your charge weight up closer to max so you can watch for pressure signs. I don't know about you but I like to go all nanners when I'm plinking and sometimes rapid fire a pop can to hell and back. That's not appropriate with an experimental load until you've gotten enough data on it to be sure. Separate a case head, pop a primer or break a bolt and you'll hate life to varying degrees.

By way of comparison, I had to sorta guess a load for 6x45mm with a bullet that I couldn't find data for but which was almost identical to another bullet of same weight and purpose which I had data for. I started 2 grains under the max load and worked up in .2gn increments. By the time I was 1 full grain under the "book max" I was starting to see pinholes in the odd primer. I stopped shooting and promptly went home and pulled all my loads apart and reduced the powder charge 1 full grain. Point is, I was using good load data but any change in components means you really need to drop the charge a bit and work back up or you risk serious danger. Every gun is different, every cartridge you build you are responsible for.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
        Here's what I'll be using:

Wolf Brass
        CCI Primers
        8208 XBR Powder
        Hornady 123 Amax bullets

I'm not concerned about accuracy, just a quickie powder load for this setup. Just going plinking this weekend with my son....shooting woth iron sights and/or eotech up to 100 yards.

28 grs of powder sound like a basic, safe load?
        No way to know without properly working up to it.

Like mentioned in another post, that's only 0.5gr below listed max (which is probably for brass other than Wolf).

Faster burning powders can be more volatile when approaching max, and extra caution should be exercised.
        Last edited by Drifter; 10-01-2011, 06:09 PM.
        Drifter

Comment

thanks. I forgot about the hodgdon website.

Comment

Working...
          X