6.5 grendel deer load ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 grendel deer load ?

I am new to the grendel world. I close to completing my AR. I would like to use it for this year deer season. I will be hunting Mule Deer in California as well as hogs. I am seeking information on a good load. Yes I do hand load my own.
    Chuck
  • longdayjake

I have fallen in love with the 100 grain barnes TTSX. I use 28 grains of AA2230 and I get about 2800 fps from my 20" barrel.

Comment

In my expierence, the Grendel shoots most accurate @ just over max listed loads. The "Sweet Spot" with grendel hunting bullets is generally around 120 grains , so I would go there first. For big game @ the edge of the Grendel envelope I like the 130 gr Swift Scirrocco II with 29 plus grains of BLC (2). (that load kicks harder than you would think!). I plan to work up a 100gr partition loading for this November.

Comment

I used the max load from AA website using 123gr Sierra Match Kings and Win748 powder. I made a marginal shot on a buck I thought was much farther away than I thought and the bullet did a great job of fixing my mistake.

Comment

I am also in the market for a good Whitetail bullet for my Grendel. I gave the 120gr Nosler BT a whirl this past season and I wasn't impressed with it's terminal performance. I going to give the Barnes TTSX at try this year, just need to decide on the 120gr or the 100gr.

Comment

• WldWldWest

My Deer load is 120BT 29gr. of TAC, I've yet to have one walk away! I've also had good results from SMK's on deer and Coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by longdayjake View Post
              I have fallen in love with the 100 grain barnes TTSX. I use 28 grains of AA2230 and I get about 2800 fps from my 20" barrel.
              This load helps ease the 300 yard "rainbow trajectory" seen by the Grendel. Consider the 129 grain Hornady or the 130 Scirocco. You'll get only about 250 yards while keeping the bullet within five inches of the line of sight -- with a 24" barrel (see http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...nd-aim-points/).

The TTSX in the 20" barrel gets more than 75 yards further out with a maximum point blank range of about 325 yards for the 10" vital zone.

Bottom line, I hope to get and load some 100 gr TTSX of them for my son's Grendel!

Comment

• longdayjake

I don't know what the max load for the aa2230 and the 100 grain TTSX is but I didn't want to push it any faster since I was using 7.62x39 brass and I like to use it more than 3 or for times. I don't really know why I did that because I lost the brass out in the field anyway. I think I am going to find out the max load for that combo and load 20 or so with brass that I won't mind losing if I shoot at a deer in the grass.

Comment

What is your OAL for the 100gr TTSX?

Thanks

Comment

• PA_Allen
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I listed my deer loads here:

Hello All, Here is some of the data that I had posted on the old site before the crash. I thought that repeating it here might be useful. These loads were safe in my rifle, but please work up to the max loads to ensure your own safety. All of the loads were fired through my 20" Lothar Walther Barrel with the CSS
                    H335TAC

Comment

Infidel470 has a really good one that took his deer with one shot a year ago. Send him an email or PM, and I'm sure he will share it with you. He is a really friendly (and interesting) fellow.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WldWldWest View Post
                        My Deer load is 120BT 29gr. of TAC, I've yet to have one walk away! I've also had good results from SMK's on deer and Coyotes.
                        Me too. I use the 120BT's in front of 31.7gr. of Win. 748 and they've all been one shot drops. Including the 10 point. Most of them were from a 10.5" barrel also...
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

120 berger hpbt 28.2 no preasure signs,many yotes over 400yds,3deer over300.very accurate, load to mag length.Be safe work up...

Comment

I have used the factory Hornady 129g SST's for a couple deer. Shot two the same morning, one lost A LOT of blood and tracked it for around 200 yards. Never found it. It was a 200 yard off hand shot so placement may have been off. Deer are amazingly tough animals if you don't hit them right. The other was a sub 100 yard shot and that deer went 40 yards and died. I recovered that bullet and expansion was around 45% with good weight retention. Hornady bullets are a good value for the quality. Also, I have taken several deer with my 30-06 with hand loaded 150g SST's with success. I will post pics of the recovered bullet soon.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I hit a deer in 35-40 mph. cross winds 3 yrs. ago, last chance! sun goin down. 400 yards. Looked like a chiwowa in my scope. Took a guess, deer freaked out looking all around, after the first shot ( ZING)) - went by it's head ,,, adjusted for the huge wind again,, winging it on this shot!!! Ended up taking the entire front leg off !!! Direct bone hit above the Knee to shoulder area. I got lucky, is all. The 129 Hornady is the best bullet out there if you all can handle the lead issue, or not. Our state of MN. will probably soon fall to Californy's lead free ruling,,, so I've been tryin to stay ahead of this by goin all copper- ish. I Would like to try the Berger 's if anyone has some data, ummh.,, sloan are yee out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X