Powder Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Recommendations

I am loading 123g scenar's in lapua brass. Has anyone used vihtavuori powder? If so do you recommend N135, N133, N530? How does it compare with 8208xbr, TAC, and 2520?
  • RangerRick

Originally posted by jderekh View Post
    I am loading 123g scenar's in lapua brass. Has anyone used vihtavuori powder? If so do you recommend N135, N133, N530? How does it compare with 8208xbr, TAC, and 2520?

Alexander Arms has load data for them with most bullets: http://alexanderarms.com/images/pdfs..._reloading.pdf

They don't have any 8208 data, though.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2011, 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I noticed that there is no Hornady 123gn A-Max data either. There is the 129 SST listed, but nothing in the 123. I have the Hornady 8th edition, and have some ideas, but I use a variety of powders... Anybody have a suggestion for shooing an 18" barrel with 123's? I plan on getting some other bullets in different brands, but Hornady has never let me down (and I like to support them as they are in NE, which is my home state)

Comment

Originally posted by jderekh View Post
        I would not use the N500 series. They give impressive velocities, but the standard deviation has been way off for me, and they are known for damaging throats and barrel being double-based high-energy powders. I've used N140, which is way too slow, but not N135, or N133. TAC works great for getting the velocities and SD's were tighter for me.

Maybe you'll just have to try N135 and N133 and see, but those powders seem to be suited more for lighter bullets running fast, since they have faster burn rates. What barrel length do you have?
        Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
          I noticed that there is no Hornady 123gn A-Max data either. There is the 129 SST listed, but nothing in the 123. I have the Hornady 8th edition, and have some ideas, but I use a variety of powders... Anybody have a suggestion for shooing an 18" barrel with 123's? I plan on getting some other bullets in different brands, but Hornady has never let me down (and I like to support them as they are in NE, which is my home state)
          S20:

Easy answer.

Start with 28 grains of 8208 XBR, TAC, or 2520 and work your way up.

Or, state the powders you want to try and we can assist.

LR1955

Comment

I already have some loaded with TAC (according to Hornady Manual) but the powders are limited. I also have some loaded with Win 748 and plan on seeing about loading some up with Varget when I can. But I know there is a big thing about the brand makes a difference in the load data. I didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions for Hornady 123's.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

I already have some loaded with TAC (according to Hornady Manual) but the powders are limited. I also have some loaded with Win 748 and plan on seeing about loading some up with Varget when I can. But I know there is a big thing about the brand makes a difference in the load data. I didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions for Hornady 123's.
              S20:

748 is another one but you won't get the velocities you can with the three I mentioned.

Varget is fine but it is too bulky to get any velocity out of it.

LR55

Comment

According to Hodgdons site, H335 will get me to 2508, which is just under what Hornady has listed with their factory ammo... Have you ever used that for the 6.5 with a 123gn?

Comment

• RangerRick

The 123 SMK or 123 Lapua Scenar data works fine for the 123 AMAX.

RR

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

According to Hodgdons site, H335 will get me to 2508, which is just under what Hornady has listed with their factory ammo... Have you ever used that for the 6.5 with a 123gn?
                    SNP20:

I have used H-335 with the 120 and 123 grain bullets. I am more comfortable with that powder and lighter bullets but it does work and you get decent velocities. I found that you hit a point where it maxes out in efficiency and just past that point you get immediate and very clear signs of high pressures. I found that 28 grains of H-335 with the 120 and 123's was getting right up there.

Any more powders?

LR1955

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have a Scheel's right next door, so I have the ability to get anything really. What do you suggest that works well with the 123's? I have only gotten the 123's so far, but I plan on getting other weights as well. What is your favorite load (bullet weight, powder, primer, ect...)?

Comment

I'm having very good results with 8208 & levere
                        volution powders. The lvr in my gun is edging out the 8208 so far.
                        Ymmv.

Comment

• terrywick4

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          SNP20:

I have used H-335 with the 120 and 123 grain bullets. I am more comfortable with that powder and lighter bullets but it does work and you get decent velocities. I found that you hit a point where it maxes out in efficiency and just past that point you get immediate and very clear signs of high pressures. I found that 28 grains of H-335 with the 120 and 123's was getting right up there.

Any more powders?

LR1955
                          Carefull with H-335 if you are around it's max, it is very temp sensitive.

Comment

• BenchRider

I've pushed the 123 gr Amax's with 30.3 gr of AA2520. The 123 gr Scenars started to go wild after 29.0 gr of AA2520. the 29.5 gr load was sharp in recoil and was REALLY flattening the primers. Didn't see cratering, but it felt like I was getting too close. I wrote down the chrono data for all these, but I can't remember where I left it. Probably not relevant anyway as my barrel is 28 inches.

The data from Hodgdon's website for XBR 8208 didn't look like it would do as well with the 123 gr bullets.
                            I'm going to put together a series of loads for the Amax and Scenar using TAC because people keep saying it's clean, accurate, and develops lots of velocity.

Perhaps LR1955 has a max load of TAC for the 123 gr bullets? I promise to start a grain lower or so.

Comment

I actually have some loaded up with TAC now, just have not been able to get to the range to test them out. Another you can try is WIN 748. I'm told it's temperature sensitive, but I have never had any troubles/deviation that is worth noting with it. I know that TAC in my .223 has served well, as in my .204. So I'm hoping that she will do just as good in my 6.5. I will let you know what I figure out if I can get to the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X