• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro forming

For your info

• txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I made a insert for my sizing die to do this. It works OK with soft brass like Winchester but I could never get a full form on tougher brass like IMI. If I can find pictures of the die I'll post them.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Found one. I took a bolt that fit in my Hornady sizing die (1/2 fine thread) and bored, reamed and lapped it for a piece of 1/4" drill rod to act like a piston. The part of the drill stem that inserts into the case is turned down to fit through the case neck. I also had to turn a plug to fit into the shell holder to keep the primer in.
      Last edited by txgunner00; 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

well i guess i dont need to post my video now it is on here cool

Comment

Hahahaha Welcome Chopper! Sorry for stealling your show. Was to good to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by Varoum View Post
            Hahahaha Welcome Chopper! Sorry for stealling your show. Was to good to pass up.
            i was thinking about posting it anyway so its all good

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Howdy, Chopper!

What brand of brass were you forming in the vid?

Comment

ImI

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Are you using a sizing die for forming?
                  Last edited by txgunner00; 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    Are you using a sizing die for forming?
                    yes a lee full length

Comment

Hi, I'm a new member to the forum. I apologize for opening this old thread, but it is specific to my question. I bought IMI 7.62x39 brass back when Wideners had it, planning on forming my own. I saw chopper's video & was impressed. I thought I saw a diagram of his striking tool online, but I can't find it anywhere now. I even heard of people using a drill bit epoxied into a piece of steel, but I'm not sure what size to use. Also, would a used primer work in place of the paper/glue? I'm sure chopper would know. Thanks

Comment

• StoneTower

I think I was the one that started the drill bit epoxied into (in my case) a stainless steel rod. Take the primer punch and expander ball out of your die. Run a case into the die and then use a cheap harbor freight set of letter and fraction bits to determine the correct size. The size may be different depending on the brass thickness.

I did the hydro-forming when brass was hard to find and expensive. The time it takes you to do and the fact that you only have a case that is about 95%+ formed makes it less attractive than using high quality AA brass.

hydro-forming is much better in my opinion that using bullets, powder and primers to make cases. The fact that the cases do not last as long as the factory cases and that fact that I got 500 once fired AA cases for 30 cents each made it less attractive to me and I sold all my unformed Winchester brass as it was more than 30 cents each.
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

StoneTower,
                          Thanks for the response. I agree if I was starting from scratch now, I might not have purchased the IMI brass, but I have 1000rds of it, so it is money already spent. The hydroforming does seem financially smarter for making cases. Buying Wolf ammo would have been my second choice, but the rumor here is that the brass is pretty short lived. Buying Hornady ammo is really just as cheap as buying their brass & loading your own, probably cheaper. The cost of the brass & bullets is practically the same as the loaded ammo, ignoring the cost of powder & primers. So my dilemma is do I spend roughly $1/shot, or do I hydroform the 1000 pcs of brass I have & load them as many times as I can? That's why I'm looking into the specifics of hydroforming. Thanks again for your response.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I had a hard time with hydro forming IMI as it was relatively harder brass. Winchester formed pretty well. I'm using all my 7.62 brass for subsonic loads and fire forming it that way.

Comment

• StoneTower

You have to figure out how much you value your time. You can probably sell the IMI brass for what you paid or more and then buy brass that is better and that requires no work. It was a fun project and I will always keep the punch as long as I have the Grendel, but being that I was paying $16.00 for 50 new Winchester cases it was not worth it when I could get 100 once fired AA cases for $30.00. I wish I would have purchased more when I could but 500 will last me quite a while.

Originally posted by hodi View Post
                              StoneTower,
                              Thanks for the response. I agree if I was starting from scratch now, I might not have purchased the IMI brass, but I have 1000rds of it, so it is money already spent. The hydroforming does seem financially smarter for making cases. Buying Wolf ammo would have been my second choice, but the rumor here is that the brass is pretty short lived. Buying Hornady ammo is really just as cheap as buying their brass & loading your own, probably cheaper. The cost of the brass & bullets is practically the same as the loaded ammo, ignoring the cost of powder & primers. So my dilemma is do I spend roughly $1/shot, or do I hydroform the 1000 pcs of brass I have & load them as many times as I can? That's why I'm looking into the specifics of hydroforming. Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Working...
                              X