Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GO TO Load for the 100yd for accuracy-120gr Sierria SMK

Background:
    first things first looking for input to load up a "go to" load to work out as I am having accuracy issues, my attempts are to rule out variables (Me, ammo, rifle).

1. I established my seating depth with a dummy round by slowly decreasing C.O.A.L until round would feed with hand pressure and extract easily I then seated in another 0.010". Because somewhere I recall Sierria likes some jump and to reduce chamber pressure.

2. I chose AA2520 as the powder to use based on I have some on the bench and I hear many have good results.

3. Loaded up twenty of the 120 SMK, AA Brass virgin, WSR Primer, AA250@29.3grs, Coal Worked out to 2.230" (thereabouts as we all know that this will vary on this bullet). Loaded additional 20 same same except the charge is at 29.8grs.

Question are these loads in the ball park?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2011, 10:25 PM.
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Murf You should be in the ballpark with those loads AA has a max of 30.6 for that combo. I wrote about a cheap and easy way to measure COAL here:http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...jump-amp-crimp

Comment

I use 2520. Just be aware it is temperature sensitive.

Comment

Yes it is, Rstewart
        figure I'll burn up what I have while we (AR,LA,TX) have cooler temps and then switch to N322 and N133.
        TAC is another that is Temp sensitive for this region which I need to burn up before the temp go up again.

Rasp thanks for the Info on the gauge hehe I actually found that post and used the same principal.
        Thanks guys

Comment

I haven't found a load that works as well as CCI primers with 30.5 grains of AA2520 with 120 grain SMKs and Lapua Scenars. The best groups I've had yet where using the Nosler 120 Grain ballistic Tips ...... using the same load. I live in North West Washington State so I really don't have to worry too much about temperature. I was told by Accurate that AA2230 is a much better powder to use for the Grendel (and is now all they list for the Grendel on thier website). I haven't switched over yet, but want to give it a try.

Comment

WSR not WSR-M primers? All the load data I've seen says to use magnum primers. Inconsistent powder ignition will cause variation so look there.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
              I haven't found a load that works as well as CCI primers with 30.5 grains of AA2520 with 120 grain SMKs and Lapua Scenars. The best groups I've had yet where using the Nosler 120 Grain ballistic Tips ...... using the same load. I live in North West Washington State so I really don't have to worry too much about temperature. I was told by Accurate that AA2230 is a much better powder to use for the Grendel (and is now all they list for the Grendel on thier website). I haven't switched over yet, but want to give it a try.
              Better in what sense? 2230 has a faster burn rate than 2460 and a MUCH faster burn rate than 2520. 2460 is usually used with 100 grain bullets. The Accurate Arms data is using 2230 with bullets from 85 grains to 120. That's odd, and their loads give pretty low mv even considering that they are using a 20 inch barrel. Alexander Arms doesn't list any 2230 loads.

The other powders give some pretty accurate loads so it's not like 2230 gives better groups. I wonder what they see as the advantage? Is it more temp stable?

RR

Comment

Originally posted by r3dn3ck View Post
                WSR not WSR-M primers? All the load data I've seen says to use magnum primers. Inconsistent powder ignition will cause variation so look there.
                Thanks for the heads up will setup a duplicate loading to check variations currently don't Small rifle mag primer on the bench.
                Will have to give it a try maybe one of the missing elements.

Comment

Working...
                X