What is the best die for reloading grendels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best die for reloading grendels

I am new to the Grendel and reloading, so I am trying to piece together a good system for the long run. Right now I have a neighbor that is a avid reloader and rifle shooter. He is going to teach me the art of reloading, but I have to buy the brass, powder, and dies for the Grendel. So, what die set will give me the most life of the brass. I see AA has the Redding and Hornady sets, but I have found other Redding bushing dies that cost a good bit more. Are the bushing dies worth the extra money?

Thanks

Forster

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Costa View Post
      I am new to the Grendel and reloading, so I am trying to piece together a good system for the long run. Right now I have a neighbor that is a avid reloader and rifle shooter. He is going to teach me the art of reloading, but I have to buy the brass, powder, and dies for the Grendel. So, what die set will give me the most life of the brass. I see AA has the Redding and Hornady sets, but I have found other Redding bushing dies that cost a good bit more. Are the bushing dies worth the extra money?

Thanks
      Yes.

Comment

Redding "S" type with 289 TiNitride bushing works for me. 288 bushing for hunting. Here is the link at Midway

Comment

I have Hornady dies, and I love them. Also, if you get the zip spindle, then you can get 100 free bullets with their rebate. If I could, I would trade out all my dies for Hornady. My first 50 rounds I loaded; had 3-4 that had .007-.008 runout, but I kept going, and the next 100 loaded, never had 1 over .003 in runout. Most all were within .001... When I say most, I mean about 90%+... I don't think you can go wrong with Hornady...

Comment

I really enjoy the Hornady New Dimension dies for basic reloading, but for precision work, and shifting from one bullet type to another, I really like the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater dies:

No tools necessary for adjusting your seating depth with them.

When I went to send-in my Hornady free bullets certificates, there aren't any in 6.5mm, or any others available that I really want for that matter. I have 3 sets of Hornady New Dimension dies, and was going to send in for a bunch of bullets, but then had the gem taken from my doughnut.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              I really enjoy the Hornady New Dimension dies for basic reloading, but for precision work, and shifting from one bullet type to another, I really like the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater dies:

No tools necessary for adjusting your seating depth with them.

When I went to send-in my Hornady free bullets certificates, there aren't any in 6.5mm, or any others available that I really want for that matter. I have 3 sets of Hornady New Dimension dies, and was going to send in for a bunch of bullets, but then had the gem taken from my doughnut.
              Get pistol bullets and trade with someone!

Comment

I forgot to mention that one of my builds is a .264 and while my other is a true grendel. Would this cause problems with the dies?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

I forgot to mention that one of my builds is a .264 and while my other is a true grendel. Would this cause problems with the dies?
                  Not at all. You may find that you need to use different inserts for the two, creating 2 slightly different loads, but you may also find that both will shoot the same load.

Comment

I called Hornady and asked about the Grendel dies and the 264 LBC AR dies. They told me there was no difference, they are the same just one is boxed Grendel and the other 264 LBC AR.

I use the Hornady dies with Lock-N-Load progressive press, loaded 100 last night in no time. It did take me longer as I stop to verify powder drop every 5 or so rounds. IMR 8208 XBR throws pretty consistant with in .02 to .04 of grain. The resizing die takes the neck down to .289 which is the same size as new Lapua brass.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I have had great success with the Redding standard sizer die, and the Redding match bullet seating die. The Forster dies are also excellent. If both dies were available in the same store, I would probably take the cheapest one. If I had to order one, or buy one that was on the shelf, I would take whichever one was on the shelf for immediate purchase.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you won't go wrong with either Redding or Forster bench rest dies. I haven't used the dies that require a separate bushing, and even load precision rifles with standard dies. I can't hold much better groups than half inch, and that is what my ammo will shoot if I do things right.

Comment

Redding S or Forster micrometer.

Comment

Sorry if this question is dumb, but will I need another die other than the forster micrometer for reloading?

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Thanks
                            The bushing dies are better than the standard dies. Also, I recall one of the previous six or eight threads on reloading die and equipment selection was pretty damn good so you may want to read some of these threads before dropping money on reloading gear.

Let me suggest you and your reloading mentor read the threads about sizing the Grendel brass sufficiently for it to easily chamber. Run a search and you will find a number of threads about this subject and they are worth reading as chambering is the single most problem prone issue involving reloading Grendel brass.

Reloading is an art?

LR1955

Comment

I've been using the Lee die set. Been really great and comes with the shellholder and powder scoop. A micrometer type seating die would be nice but I'm getting < 1 MOA from my loads. I'm hoping to get 6-8 loadings from the lapua brass. I'm told 10-12 is possible but I don't think I'll get that.

Comment

Working...
                              X