123 SMK and wc 846

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 123 SMK and wc 846

has anybody used this combo. I got an 8lb jug pretty cheap. It says that it has a burn rate like blc-2. What do you guys think a good starting place would be for loads.

Im also going to try this with the 123 a-max.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
    has anybody used this combo. I got an 8lb jug pretty cheap. It says that it has a burn rate like blc-2. What do you guys think a good starting place would be for loads.

Im also going to try this with the 123 a-max.
    OX:

Run a search as this topic of surplus 844 and 846 came up about three weeks ago and had a number of good responses.

'Like' doesn't equal 'is' and you will find that out very quickly when using surplus military powders with cartridges and bullets that are not the same military loads.

When I was trying 844 and 846 with the Grendel four or five years ago, it didn't come as a surprise to me that there was a load tolerance with 844 and 846 with the Grendel cartridge that was pretty narrow.

Between the two, 844 seemed more tolerant and gave better results. Neither equaled any of the commercial powders in terms of consistency or results.

LR1955

Comment

thanks i went back and reread that thread. I would still like to try the powder. how much should i back off from the 31.5 that is recomended for blc-2 for my starting load? I was thinking of starting around 27 grains and working up.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
        thanks i went back and reread that thread. I would still like to try the powder. how much should i back off from the 31.5 that is recomended for blc-2 for my starting load? I was thinking of starting around 27 grains and working up.
        OX:

Always start low and work up.

Do not go to a commercial loading data book and try to extrapolate or interpolate to find comparisons with any of the surplus military stuff. I found 846 to react so strangely in the Grendel that I stopped messing with it. Who knows though. That was five years ago and since then I am sure the military has used different lots of 846, each with its own specific optimal operating range.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
        X