• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

3000 test, for fun.

Well, I made a half hearted atempt at it, today with Mse. as a witness. I maxxed out the case capacity, damn= a bit more case length , = maybe???????? we could not get there with a 20" tube. Anyway, we hit 2857 with a 130 Barnes bullet cut down to 105 grn. then remove the last ring of the 4 , thats pre-cut into it= 100 grns. Not too bad.,,, then we had a long chat about chrono's ...... I set mine at 16-17 feet from the muzzle. Why? The muzzle blast from this caliber is big & I think it's quick,, probably do to the the full case and all ==== incorrect readings., many of you guys report all these magical nunbers that are not possible. Try your fav. load at usual chrono distance... 8-12 ft. is the problem,, - then set it at 16-17 feet. Record your results , and let us know. I think Mse., learned something today about it, and he agreed to the 16-17 ft. rule. Mse. is a way cool guy, straight shooter= tells it like it really is, cool gun also- semi custom AA rifle. Nice rig. we shot a few rounds of our faves, out of each rifle and chronoed a few. We both are close to perfection on the 100 Barnes, and my fav. the Horn. GMX, 85-95 bullets. He saw 1 h2o test where the gmx was unstoppable. . We're all on same page now- about the (really good wts. in all copper bullets) Thanks for trusting me , mse.

I had a great time. We should do it again when we have more time and a little less wind. Bin a long time since I shot a lever gun, tell the guys thanks for letting me try out their toys.
    All said and done, 3031 is not going to make any magical velocity records, but it was fun to try.
    I'm going to try and get that 100gr Barnes up a few more fps, if I can't I'll be happy hunting with the H-322 load this year.

Thanks

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Your'e in the right zone on that loading. I tried to write the speed down,,, in the wind storm we were in-- , pm me the 3031 data you have-, that we tried today, thanks, sneaky.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Sneaky I remember when building up loads for 375 H&H the blast would knock the shades for the skyscreans off. Also certain sun positions would creat much higher velocities. I will have to try moving the screens out further the next time Itake out the crono. Good luck on your noble quest for 3K.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Exactly, start at 15-16 ft. with a dedicated plinker load of a known velocity, probably from your 10 ft. chrono setting--- then shoot 2 -record it, at 16'-- then move the chrono, as I did to 22 ft. shoot, record data, should be same as . 16',, , then move to 13' from muzzle area and record data,, then we shall find true lies, and , bad liars.== most guys have no idea what;s up with the chrono, that they own, or pretend to own. Buy one for 79.00 online, and get a cheapo tripod to put it on,, Let's start a new chrono honesty thread, ? It's all about the correct data -gents., and gals. Yes, we all know the deer will not feel the diff. between 2775, and 2820 from the muzz. area... from a 6.5 Grr., , or any caliber for that matter, yet we all strive for perfection, abap here on the 6.5 g. forum. Could we all use 16 ft. as a standard.?, and out to 22', for a realistic test ???? I have found this 16-22' data to work as consistantly as reload data., yes I trust it. Tryin to help. Thanks rasp65. Do you want my - Try-Try data ?, Rasp?
          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-17-2011, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Sneaky I will try it the next time I go out I think my leads are only about 15'. Once I get my tripod set up I hate to move it because it can be a PITA to set up. Have you ever shot out your skyscreens? As far as velocities go I have tested 2 strings of 10 with the same load and had quite different results. So I take velocity readings with a grain of salt but it gives you a good idea of the performance. I do want your your your data?

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Rasper., let me know what data you want, I'll give it up , and whatever else you need, buddy . If you shoot .375 HH==( Why!!! in tarnation hell do you want to wreck your shldr.?????)-- always move it out to at LEAST- 22 ft. as a START POINT. - then go farther out ,say, 26' then 30' then check data, once you find the far- close in spot with same results = you're in the ZONE.== true chrono results. Iv'e been studying this odd phenom. for 2 yrs. Many here have the -too high stat. on a low,-charge====that equates to a too close in reading- near the chrono. I'm not picky ,or anything------ - I would really like to see a 16' starting- standard for at least- the Grrrr. caliber, why? It's so awesome.

Comment

Working...
              X