Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel question- Saber or Saturn?

Hi guys,
    So, I've been shooting a 24" overwatch off a bench for a while now and love it, but I'm looking to build more of an "over-all" rifle- You know- a SHTF/ hunting/ plinking/ range rifle. Basically, the ultimate "if you could only have one rifle" or "the one rifle you would grab in a worse case scenario" rifle. With this in mind, I have decided on an 18" barrel. I have narrowed it down to two. My question is: for the same money, should I go with the Sabre CMV chrome lined 1:7.5 twist or the Saturn stainless steel 1:8.75 twist "Spartan" barrel. If it helps, I am planning to use a Mega Monolithic Upper and make it piston-driven (Adam's Arms piston kit).

My concerns are:
    - the rate of twist; the Spartan is close to the one I'm shooting now. Is the 1:7.5 too fast? Will it not shoot the light loads well?

- Will the stainless hold up as well as a chrome lined CMV barrel. (my Sabre 5.56 bbl has been through hell and back and is still shooting awesome)

-Both come with bolts. I know that Sabre's bolts are tough as nails. How are Saturn's?

lastly... I love the look of Saturn's Spartan barrels, but I know that Sabre's chrome lined barrels are durable as all heck and the lining doesn't really give up much (or any) accuracy for it's durability.

any help would be great. thanks.

-YB
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Where are you getting a Sabre?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

For your info, I have one 16 inch CM Chromed M4 Type 6.5 grendel Barrel by Sabre Left!
      Also one 24 inch SS Fluted 6.5 by Sabre that was used, shot less than 20 rounds.

After these are gone - they are gone forever!

BTW only available as a complete upper or rifle - not selling just the barrel at this time.
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Chrome barrel will last longer but you'll probably loose some accuracy at distance.. that being said, it'll be minute of angle, not minute of man. Basically target vs hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Where are you getting a Sabre?
          Rainier Arms has them in stock:

Rainier Arms specializes in high-end AR15 parts, AR15 accessories, AR15 grips, AR15 stocks, AR15 uppers, AR15 lowers, AR15 barrels and much more...

Comment

Working...
          X