123gr lapua silver scenar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 123gr lapua silver scenar

just received my 100 rounds of lapua scenars. They were ordered from http://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m...-and-mags.html
    Won't get a chance to shoot em til this weekend. ill put up a range report when i do. The bullets and brass look awesome im excited to shoot these.

whats your opinion on moly bullets? i've heard different rumors like it requires a different type of cleaning?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 03:35 AM.

Some people like them but ive heard it ruins a good barrel. I would look into it before shooting those. Wait and see what the other guys on here chime in with.

Keith

Comment

I'll take WS2 or HBN over MoS2. IMHO, the only reason MoS2 is more pervasive it that the other two cost a penny more per bullet to use than Moly.

Is is just the picture or did they get moly on the necks as well?

Hoot

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by YutYut View Post

just received my 100 rounds of lapua scenars. They were ordered from http://www.precisionfirearms.com/48m...-and-mags.html
        Won't get a chance to shoot em til this weekend. ill put up a range report when i do. The bullets and brass look awesome im excited to shoot these.

whats your opinion on moly bullets? i've heard different rumors like it requires a different type of cleaning?
        YY:

They won't hurt your barrel but otherwise are a waste of money. They won't shoot any better than non-moly bullets and any increase you see in velocity will be insignificant in practical terms.

Also, it will take ten or fifteen rounds to initially treat your barrel so given you spent somewhere between $1.70 and probably $2.00 a shot, it will cost you about thirty dollars just to treat the barrel with the moly. Do not expect anything from those ten or fifteen shots other than treating the barrel.

Guys say that cleaning with Kroil equates to them only having to fire a couple of shots at the next session to treat the barrel with moly again so find some Kroil. BTW -- Kroil is immensely expensive.

LR1955
        Last edited by LR1955; 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, Kroil is what I clean with. WRT conditioning the barrel. At range time, I just dry patch out the leftover Kroil from the last cleaning, wet a patch with denatured alcohol and rub some either WS2 or HBN, depending upon the bullet coating I'm about to use, into the moistened patch and burnish it into the bore with jag & rod until the alcohol has evaporated and I'm just pushing a dry patch back and forth. It only take a minute or so. After that, I don't need to "treat" the barrel. Then again, I'm not shooting competition with it's high accuracy demands. More importantly, I can't afford 80+ dollars shipped for a box of 50 roundss either. My personal experience has been that the coating tightens my SDs and appears to have less pressure. So, in theory, if you actually reload and you load using a powder that still leaves some room in the case, you can pump it up a little more. Lastly and if you shot in hot environments, this is a big plus, the barrel doesn't seem to heat up so quickly. It certainly does not perform miracles you don't already deserve.

Hoot

Comment

with a military discount i payed about 1.30 a round. thanks for everyones input. i just wanna make sure that i can shoot these without ruining my barrel, is it absolutely necessary that i clean with kroil? i won't be using moly bullets in the future when i start handloading.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
              with a military discount i payed about 1.30 a round. thanks for everyones input. i just wanna make sure that i can shoot these without ruining my barrel, is it absolutely necessary that i clean with kroil? i won't be using moly bullets in the future when i start handloading.
              YY:

From my understanding, you clean using Kroil. If you clean with a regular solvent, you remove the moly from the barrel so the first five or ten shots after removing the moly will be used to treat the barrel again.

When you use Kroil, the barrel stays treated with the moly so you don't have to go through the wasting ammo process again.

With only a hundred rounds of the stuff, you don't need to clean the barrel until you have used up the moly bullets. Even 200 rounds -- you still don't need to clean the barrel.

So, you don't need to spend the money on Kroil. Shoot what you have and clean the barrel thoroughly with regular solvents and go to regular bullets.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                YY:

From my understanding, you clean using Kroil. If you clean with a regular solvent, you remove the moly from the barrel so the first five or ten shots after removing the moly will be used to treat the barrel again.

When you use Kroil, the barrel stays treated with the moly so you don't have to go through the wasting ammo process again.

With only a hundred rounds of the stuff, you don't need to clean the barrel until you have used up the moly bullets. Even 200 rounds -- you still don't need to clean the barrel.

So, you don't need to spend the money on Kroil. Shoot what you have and clean the barrel thoroughly with regular solvents and go to regular bullets.

LR1955
                Perfect. thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X