Load to the lands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load to the lands?

Is it worthwhile getting a modified case for the 6.5 Grendel to check loaded lengths and load to the lands for the 123 Amax?

We're mostly bolt-action... so I'm wondering if there's too much freebore, and the mag length too restricitive, to bother trying to go through this exercise?

If you plan to single load, then measuring to the lands is a good idea as you can load bullets longer. If you will only be shooting mag length ammo, then it doesn't do much as you are restricted to the overall mag length as your maximum COAL. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Comment

my bolt grendels have marginally longer magazine length than the AR s. The tool and modified case are pretty cheap. When I load up 2-3oo rounds I check the distance to the lands. It may help accuracy al little, and I might get a few extra fps. Than again I cant prove that.

Comment

Just got back today from the range. Last week I had loaded some 123 Amax and did not shoot very well. I was working with different loads and could not fined a good group with any load that I had. Found out all my loads with 123 Amax were .010 to .015 into the lands at 2.26 This week I loaded or should I say reseated the ammo I had left over with .010 jump and shot less than an inch group at 200 yrds. The 123 Amax do not like to be in the lands in my barrel.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I was in the same position you were a few months ago... This is what I found after trying the 120 amax, 123 amax, 123 scenar, and 130 berger. You should not have any problem if you are sticking with 123 gr or below as far as the rounds working fine in the magazine, even at the max COAL for your barrel, at least I didn't have an issue (and i'm using the C-Products 6.5 magazines). I did have a little bit of trouble with the 130 bergers and had to back them off 0.040 to get them to fit in the magazines. If you are thinking about the lapua 123 scenars, I found that the load data published by alexander arms recommended a 2.265" COAL (without comparator) for those specific rounds. I measured the COAL for the scenars for my barrel and found that it was within a couple thousandths of what AA had recommended, so in other words, i would have been (and actually did) shoot when the ogive was touching the lands and grooves. I was simply reloading to AA's specs. However, it turns out that, since I did measure the COAL for this round to my barrel (using the Hornady OAL gauge and the modified case), I was able to determine this, back off my round a little bit, do a few ladders, and find the most accurate round for my barrel. As it happens, the most accurate COAL for this round in my gun is 1.679" (w/ comparator, w/out it is around 2.255"). I shoot this round basically .010 off of the lands and grooves and it gives me a half inch group at a hundred yards.

Long story short, Yes, I think it is definitely worth it if you are wanting the most accurate round for your rifle.

Comment

Working...
          X