Hornady ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady ammo

Hi can i use 6.5 grendel ammo in .264 LBC? i have some ammo for a rifle i was going to build and now it looks like i will go for the a LBC chamber.
    Thanks
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Yes, but why would you go for the LBC chamber when the Grendel chamber is the SAAMI version and there is no benefit to the LBC chamber?

Comment

I did order a barrel from AA 3 months ago and now i find out that they cant get me a cut barrel, so im looking in to what to do.
      stay safe, Jakob

Comment

Templar custom can make you one. I received mine yesterday. Its been sent off for cerakoting and ill have a range report on it as soon as i get it back. I payed 575 for the barrel/bolt cut rifled.combo

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Yes, but why would you go for the LBC chamber when the Grendel chamber is the SAAMI version and there is no benefit to the LBC chamber?
          Doesn't the LBC chamber address(fix) some of the issues associated with the problematic throat dimension of the Grendel chamber?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mseric View Post
            Doesn't the LBC chamber address(fix) some of the issues associated with the problematic throat dimension of the Grendel chamber?
            There is no problematic throat dimension of the Grendel chamber. The LBC chamber was designed specifically with two bullets in mind, the 123 Sierra initially, then the Amax 123. The Grendel chamber was designed to shoot most 6.5 bullets well, and it does so. The LBC is simply a traditional throated barrel, without the compound throat that was found to effectively shoot many different bullets well.

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya idk where the info that the grendel is problamatic...where problems come is using a bullet that was designed for a .300 chamber in a chamber that is not will it work ya i guess so ,was it made to no there is a reason the grendel is a .300

Comment

The LBC is simply a traditional throated barrel, without the compound throat
                Could be a possible "benefit" right there.

Comment

• leopard6.5

mseric: You could possibly think so but all the problems people were reporting, especially from the old forum, ended up being the .295 throat without the compound throat.

So actual experience versus conceptual thinking seems to show that the compound throat is the more consistent way to go just like Bill A. found originally when he designed the round.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leopard6.5 View Post
                    mseric: You could possibly think so but all the problems people were reporting, especially from the old forum, ended up being the .295 throat without the compound throat.

So actual experience versus conceptual thinking seems to show that the compound throat is the more consistent way to go just like Bill A. found originally when he designed the round.

Lee
                    That could be a possible reason not to get the LBC as well. Thanks

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Bill Alexander tried the Standard throat with a .295 neck along with many other variants. He found it could be very accurate, but that it was very finicky about which bullet and how long it was seated. That's not a great recipe in auto loaders for obvious reasons!

Comment

• pinzgauer
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

It's a bit sad to see people new to Grendel try build an "Improved" design when so many box stock standard Grendels are shooting as well as they do.

Though LBC talks up the advantages of the simpler throat, it really comes at a reliability price and is "fixing" a nonexistent problem. I'm sure LBC builds nice rifles, but my bet is the "improved" neck & chamber have more to do with being different than AA than any real advantage.

One of the big advantages of the Grendel is the research done by the various fathers of the cartridge. (Yes, all of them) Why you would not want to take advantage of that research, or worse, think someone new to Grendel can design better baffles me.

It's like they say on M4carbine.net about 5.56. Just buy a Colt 6920 for $900-1000 and go shoot it. Take the money you saved over your custom build, and go shoot it some more. Only after you have shot it extensively, will you be informed enough to know what really needs to be addressed VS what you originally thought. They are not talking about stocks, tubes, and such. It's really more the crazy barrel/upper/BCG approaches people buy into. It's hard to beat the tried and true basic milspec design.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but every grendel I've bought or built has been an excellent performer out of the box. Even with inexpensive barrels. And not because I did anything special, it's just that the box stock grendel chamber & cartridge work well when combined with decent ammo or reloads.

So my recommendation would be to stick with standard Grendel chamber & throat from an experienced Grendel mfg. Work your loads. Build your pet rifle. When you are done, if you are still disappointed in the accuracy have your super custom barrel made and give it a try. My bet is you will be back to standard Grendel before it is over with.

I know I'll be outshouted on the KISS approach, but probably 5 or 10 to 1 the problems posted on the grendel forums have largely been peopled trying to "improve" the Grendel. This does not mean that no standard Grendel has problems, they occasionally do. But most are reload specific or a mfg defect. But by volume most of the non-reload problems are someone with a reamer trying to beat a dozen years of research & testing with their wild idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X