Hornady factory ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady factory ammo

does anyone know which powder Hornady is using in their factory 6.5 G 123 g A-Max match loads? i have tried to duplicate and tested several (more than 10) different loads with A2520,H335, IMR 4198, and Varget. I cant seem to get anything to shoot as well as the factory stuff. Any help or insight would be a great help. Thanks y"all!

i have heard that they use the new super performance powder, but i dont know for sure.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

It is a Superperformance type powder, not yet available to hand loaders.

Comment

I get 100fps less with the factory load, although it is accurate.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by muttdog View Post
          does anyone know which powder Hornady is using in their factory 6.5 G 123 g A-Max match loads? i have tried to duplicate and tested several (more than 10) different loads with A2520,H335, IMR 4198, and Varget. I cant seem to get anything to shoot as well as the factory stuff. Any help or insight would be a great help. Thanks y"all!
          You should be able to better the factory loads with 30.5 grains of AA2520. I get about 30-40 fps better than the factory loads. You may need to bump that down a little with your barrel to hit a node. Best group I've shot at 100 yard with that is 0.68 inches for a 5 shot group out of a Satern 20 inch bbl.

What COL are you using? Should be 2.26 if your chamber will take it (almost all do). Load it to mag length and give it a try. If you seat too deep and compress the load, you might get inconsistent ignition.

LeveRevolution is probably closest to the factory load, with AA520 next.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

thanks rick, good info. I am loading to mag length. aa 2520 shoots ok but .86 is not as tight as i know the gun is capable of. i consulted some friends and they say that WIN748 has the closest burn rate to hornadys "commercial" powder they use. so on some advise from my wife (i know) i dumped a factory load and loaded 28.5 g of WIN748 and it shot .32 inch group. basically a little better than factory which satisfies my pickyness. basically all 3 touching just a tad low right from factory.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by muttdog View Post
              thanks rick, good info. I am loading to mag length. aa 2520 shoots ok but .86 is not as tight as i know the gun is capable of. i consulted some friends and they say that WIN748 has the closest burn rate to hornadys "commercial" powder they use. so on some advise from my wife (i know) i dumped a factory load and loaded 28.5 g of WIN748 and it shot .32 inch group. basically a little better than factory which satisfies my pickyness. basically all 3 touching just a tad low right from factory.

Hi Mutt,

748 is a good powder but it is a little dirty. The max for it is 30.5 grains so you will get a lot less muzzle velocity with 28.5. If accuracy is more important, that's OK.

You can reduce the load of 2520 to hit a node in your gun and still keep the mv up. Or increase the 748 and try to hit a node.

RR

Comment

Working...
              X