Problems with Wolf & Hornady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Wolf & Hornady

I finally got to take my new Grendel out for a spin today. The weather in northern Ohio finally cooperated!
    I loaded my mag up with the Gold Wolf and was all set to break in this new rifle. First round didn't chamber all that great but with a gentle push on the forward assist it locked up. Bang went the round but bummer, no ejected case. I had to get a cleaning rod to punch the spent case out. Next round wouldn't even chamber, so I went to the 123gr Hornady ammo. No problem first three rounds went great until about the 17 th one locked the bolt up. It wouldn't open at all, I gave up and went home.
    So what is the problem? Need more breaking in? The bolt was dry, do most of you run a wetter bolt? Should I pull the bullets from the wolf, resize and reload them?
    HELP!
  • RangerRick

The bolt needs to be oiled. You can stick the nozzle into one of the vent holes in the side of the bolt carrier and squirt a little in to lube without breaking it down.

Work the action a few times to spread it around. Sometimes new bolts are pretty stiff

When you say "no ejected case" do you mean the bolt opened and left the case in the chamber?

To unlock it you can bang the butt on the ground or a sturdy table and usually get the case out. As a last resort you can get a big flat head screw driver and stick it in the front of the mag well to lever the carrier back.

Is your ammo old? The first lots of the Hornday ammo was sticking in some chambers, but that was fixed in later lots, as I understand it.

You may have a chamber problem.

Chamber and extract a round and see if your bullets have marks from the rifling on them. Awhile back a guy had a barrel that didn't have the throat of the chamber cut correctly and the rifling ran all the way back to the mouth of the case. Something like that can cause both the chambering and extracting problems you describe.

Is your bore chromed? What brand of barrel? Sometimes the chrome can be too thick and reduce the chamber size too much.

I doubt that's the problem, but it a possibility.

RR

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
      I finally got to take my new Grendel out for a spin today. The weather in northern Ohio finally cooperated!
      I loaded my mag up with the Gold Wolf and was all set to break in this new rifle. First round didn't chamber all that great but with a gentle push on the forward assist it locked up. Bang went the round but bummer, no ejected case. I had to get a cleaning rod to punch the spent case out. Next round wouldn't even chamber, so I went to the 123gr Hornady ammo. No problem first three rounds went great until about the 17 th one locked the bolt up. It wouldn't open at all, I gave up and went home.
      So what is the problem? Need more breaking in? The bolt was dry, do most of you run a wetter bolt? Should I pull the bullets from the wolf, resize and reload them?
      HELP!
      AR Rifles need oil. Lube the bolt and bolt carrier. I don't think that was the major problem, though. I think your gas system isn't working well. Probably misalignment between the gas block and gas port. Or, who ever put it together didn't make sure the headspace was correct. Or a combination of the three.

Start with lubing the bolt and bolt carrier.

LR1955

Comment

More details on the rifle itself please.

Comment

Yes, we need to know these specifics:

What chamber you have...Grendel, .264 LBC, CSS, 6.5 Sporter, etc.
          What exact Wolf ammo....123gr Soft Points, 120gr MPT....(your experience with trying to chamber a round sounds exactly like Wolf 123gr Soft Point, which I recommend NOT to shoot in an AR)
          Gas system length....Rifle, Mid, Carbine
          Barrel length....
          Factory build? Home build?
          Gas block type and manner of attachment
          Bolt carrier...AR15 or M16
          Buffer & recoil spring...rifle, carbine weight of the buffer in oz. or grams
          Magazine type

Comment

To answer some of the questions: Wolf 120 MPT. AA magazine. Gunsmith built. 18" barrel.(not sure of make, but when we chambered a round once I did see some rifling marks on the bullet) Hornady not old maybe couple months. Wolf just got it few weeks ago. I'm sure it needs oiling, but going down to gunsmith tomorrow. He's a good gunsmith and friend sure he'll make it work right. I really appreciate your help. I'll get the rest of the information for you. Thanks!

Comment

Ok so I thought an update would help. I took my rifle down and my gunsmith looked it over and oiled it for me. I cleaned it good and it feeds very well now. I'll be taking it out ASAP. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Mav714 View Post
                Ok so I thought an update would help. I took my rifle down and my gunsmith looked it over and oiled it for me. I cleaned it good and it feeds very well now. I'll be taking it out ASAP. Thanks for all your help!
                Hi Mav,

If you are getting rifling marks on factory ammo, something is wrong. That can cause serious over pressure. Was the chamber already cut in the barrel or did your gunsmith ream it for you?

Wouldn't put it past Wolf to have a bad lot of ammo. Can you compare the overall length of the Wolf to the Hornady?

RR

Comment

Working...
                X