Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigmatt803

ballistics chart

im relatively new to the grendel had mine about a six months now. i shoot the hornady 123gr a-max match ammo with good accuracy at 100yds (.75in). i want to stretch it out to 1000 and was wondering if anyone has a detailed ballistics chart for this ammo they would be willing to share?

This data based on 2600 fps factory load out of a 24" barrel. MOA rise is from a zero of 100yds. I have verified these numbers to 600yds and they are very accurate.
    Input Variables Firearm type Long Sight Height 1.5
    Bullet Weight (grains) 123 Ballistic Coefficient .510
    Muzzle Velocity (fps) 2600 Temperature 59
    Barometric Pressure (hg) 29.53 Relative Humidity 78%
    Zero Range (yards) 100 Wind Speed (mph) 0

Ballistics Table in Yards
    123 gr., .510 B.C. www.hornady.com
    Range (yards) Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000
    Velocity (fps) 2600 2430 2266 2108 1957 1812 1676 1548 1429 1322 1229
    Energy (ft.-lb.) 1846 1612 1402 1213 1045 897 767 654 558 478 412
    Trajectory (100 yd. zero) -1.5 0.0 -4.4 -15.5 -34.5 -62.6 -101.3 -152.5 -218.2 -301.1 -404.0
    Come Up in MOA -1.5 0.0 2.1 4.9 8.2 12.0 16.1 20.8 26.0 31.9 38.6
    Ballistics Calculator v1.0

Comment

• bigmatt803

thanks i will give it a try.

Comment

Try this, it's free.

Comment

You will want to run your ballistics with a 10mph full value for the wind so you can dial your wind dope. What scope do you have, and how high is it from the dead center of bore center?

You can use the wind values as a linear function, unlike trajectory, which is progressively worse with distance. If you have a half-value wind of 10mph, you only need to dial half the indicated windage correction given in the ballistics table that is generated for your particular bullet. I would read-up on wind-doping techniques if you haven't been exposed to them yet, and take your rifle out to 400yds, then 600yds before jumping straight to 1000yds. You will also need to be very disciplined on your sight picture, and make your shots within the conditions you have dialed, which change very quickly often.

Here's a video of two guys engaging a target at 340yds, then 980yds. If you watch carefully, the shooter is checking his laminated drop/wind chart attached to his scope mount, then entering the ranges given by the guy with the LRF. Notice the techniques for windage compensation they used...i.e. reticle hold, since the wind was not too strong.

If the wind is stronger, I personally prefer to dial windage for it.

Comment

• jwilson1985

also every rifle shoots different idk why ive seen 2 identical riffles shoot different like one ammo another dont even different fps

Comment

• bigmatt803

thanks for your reply. i have a viper vortex 6.5-20-44 scope that sits 1.5 in above center bore. i have consistantly shot out to 1000 with my custom 300 mag built by bob hart. i have taken my grendel out to 400 hundred with great results. i havent taken it farther due to not knowing the drop in inches to make my calculations for MOA, so i guess that is what i am looking for is drop in inches from 500 to 1000. im going to try the calculations with the chart from richie301 and see how close that will get me with my rifle. any info you may have will be very helpful. thanks again.

Comment

Since distance shooting isn't new to you, I would suggest running a G7 BC on that bullet then, versus the G1, especially at that distance. I'm not sure what the G7 value is for the 123gr AMAX. Even with G1, you will need to fine-tune the trajectory at that distance with a Grendel. I would get out as early as possible before the winds start brewing.

Comment

• jwilson1985

im getting a huge differance in the data that point blank gave me vs what i know and the app on my phone anyone else compair to get the results

Comment

What's you data?

Comment

• jwilson1985

for the rifle or the balistics

Comment

barrel length, bullet, powder gr, velocity, zero range, scope height etc.

Comment

There is a ballistic calculator Excel spreadsheet floating around the net, which is FANTASTIC. I would highly recommend it. Also, if you look around Amazon, you might be able to find an old windows mobile based phone to be had. For instance, I got an old HTC touch for around 70 bucks, shipped. I never activated it, turned the phone portion off entirely, and use it exclusively as a ballistic calculator at the range. Without the phone radio running, the batteries last forever. My only beef with it is the need to use a stylus. Still, I prefer it to the likes of what you find on android or IOS. Being that it's simply a spreadsheet, it's highly customizable. I added sheets to aid in range estimation in MOA or Mils. All I have to do is input my target size and mil or moa read and the spreadsheet not only outputs range in meters and yards, but it also outputs my exact drop.

But like anything. The output is only as good as the information you feed it, So I know well what my muzzle velocities are, ballistic coefficients, the elevation of where I shoot, and sight in temperature. While the spreadsheet works only with the G1 Profile, and for supersonic loads, I've found it to be extremely accurate. I think this is in part due to figuring out the BC myself. I never rely on the manufacturer published BCs.

Check out the JBM ballistics website for working out your BC. There is a fantastic calculator there that calculates BC based off of bullet dimensions. I think it's called the "Twist and Drag" calculator. It will output a map of BC values across the different velocity ranges. Beyond that, you can use those numbers to convert across several Drag profiles with another tool found on that website. That calculator won't simply give you the average BC in the several different profiles, but will also tell you what the standard deviation for the BC is for each profile and highlight the one with the lowest deviation.

I have found this whole setup to work remarkably well, even while being limited to the G1 profile. It has put me into the 9 ring at 1000yds with a load I have never shot nearly that far before. I deem it quite reliable.

Comment

Working...
                          X