• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • largerthan9
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2015

Savage Long Action Project.

So, I picked up a savage 111 for very cheap, and am toying with the idea of swapping the barrel and chassis with a custom Shilen savage barrel and a MDT LSS chassis. my problem is that I am not that familiar with bolt actions and how well they feed. My idea is to use the long action magazines if the Grendel cartridge can be successfully loaded into it. has anyone here attempted to load a long action magazine with Grendel? My option from MDT is their polymer mags or AICS mags. I would like to use this platform as base for other size rounds (kinda how my AR's are)
    Thanks Dan.
  • Fredman
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Welcome Dan.

I can't help on this. I have heard of using long actions for short action calibers. Giving a longer OAL and still mag length. However, my thoughts are one of the Grendel advantages is a great caliber in a small light rifle. There are several long action calibers better suited for that action.

Comment

• FW Conch
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

I agree with Fredman. I built mine on a short action and it is plenty long for the Grendel. Not only is the Savage 111 a long action, it is one of the longest around. I think the mag would need some sort of spacer in the back to feed properly, and keep the little Grendel from getting lost in all that space.

Make that 111 a 280AI...JMHO :-))

Comment

• s3silver
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Any updates on this project? Thinking about doing the same with an Axis I have laying around.

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

The savage long action would definitely be overkill for a Grendel build. You'll end up with a lot of space in the mag. which could cause feeding problems. Also, the bolt face diameter will be larger than the Grendel case diameter which will cause ejection problems. I'm doing a build on a Savage short action, mod 12, but I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor. For a long action with a 6.5 I'd build a 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5-284 or a 26 Nosler. I understand you got a good deal on the action but the Grendel is not a good match.

Comment

• s3silver
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Yes, I know the Axis action is quite long, but it's what I have laying around. It's a 308 for now and was thinking about a smaller cartridge for the wife and 11 yr old son to hunt with. May just go with 260 or creedmoor at the end. Since the axis comes in a 223 version also, was just curious to see if anyones made it into a Grendel.

I have 3 ar's in grendel and the wifey and son loves to shoot these over the other cartridges. I'm in CA, so with the new regs hunting with an ar may be out of the question soon, hence an interest in a Grendel bolt gun. I have a Savage 11vt in 223 also, but it shoots so darn good out to 550 yards I don't want to mess with it.

Comment

• pajasonc
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

In a long action you would be better served by the 6.5x55 but you shouldn't have much trouble with a 260 remington or 6.5 creedmor. Now on a short action I am sure you could get the 6.5 grendel to work, since savage has made a scout rifle in 7.62x39, there should be parts(mag spacer if needed) for a short action grendel

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Unless you are set on building your own rifle, and want a bolt action rifle, you may want to look at the Howa 1500 in 6.5 Grendel.
                You can purchase that for less than it would cost you to build a rifle, and they are shooting pretty well from what I have been reading.

Comment

• s3silver
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Paja: I already have a Savage I rebarreled into a 6.5x55 few years back. I'll look into the scout mag box and see what mods can be made of it.

Texas: I know the Howas have been getting some good reviews, but really trying not to have to buy a new rifle (will need a new safe soon if I keep doing that...haha). However, they look pretty sweet in kryptik so who knows.

Comment

Working...
                  X