• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Lapua Brass

I bought the Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass when it was on sale and was curious if you size your new brass before loading. I've heard it is not needed but a friend said he always sizes new brass. If you size new brass does this affect the life of the brass case?

I'm going to size mine. No sense taking a chance one/some or all might be out of spec. I suppose if you are willing to gauge every empty brass before loading, you would be fine. It might reduce overall loading by one turn but to insure they will function, ill do that

Comment

According to Bill Alexander the first loading does not need to be resized. I loaded my first 100 and they were all fine. I checked about 10 or 15 with the check guage and they all fit so I quit after that.

Comment

Your FL sizer probably won't touch a new case (meaning it won't size it or set the shoulder back). I do however run an expander mandrel through the neck of all new brass, and then size with the appropriate bushing. Consistent neck tension is critical for accuracy in any cartridge. With the Lapua brass I'm not even sure this is necessary because it seems to be very consistent in all aspects.

Comment

• jwilson1985

i always do as most of the time you will have a few bent ones plus u are going to have to camfer them any way so i just go through the process anyway

Comment

I run mine through the progressive loaded so that the necks will all be uniform. I don't lube for the new brass because it isn't necessary, so it runs right through my Dillon, and makes consistent loads. That will make sure any handling changes in the necks get uniformed.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for the information this is what I was wanting to learn from you more experienced reloaders.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I only run the expander ball through to make sure the necks are round. The dies won't touch the rest of the body, Lapua is made to the small end of the brass spec.

Comment

Good advice above. It's a long way from Finland to your front door and the odds that all of your brass made the journey without any dents and dings to the necks is very slim. Don't forget to chamfer as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X