The same???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The same???

Not to beat a dead horse, but from what I have gathered, the 264LBC is going to be the exact same as teh 6.5 Grendel, minus the one degree (or something like that) in the chamber. From my understanding, you can use 6.5 "Grendel" ammo in a 264LBC barrel/chamber... Correct?

So we are looking at the exact same duck, but with a different name right??? So anyone that has a 264LBC barrel/chamber is able to use 6.5 "Grendel" with no issue...

The reason for this is because I want to do another build, but I cannot find any barrels from Midwayusa.com that are labeled "Grendel". I can find tons of 264LBC, but nothing in Grendel... Was just checking my options.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: add info

Yes. The difference is lbc neck=.295 grendel neck=.300 ive read that the .005 difference makes the lbc less reliable. I can't prove it just going off reading ive done. Then ive read it makes no difference. Now that its SAAMI accepted why mess with anything else.. Just my opinion

Comment

I would not mind building another Grendel, but I can't seem to find much listed as "Grendel" anymore... Midwayusa.com does not have ANY barrels with this listed. All that they did, they are now LBC (same companies)... So I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Do you think it would be wise to stay with Grendel or get the LBC? I know this has been covered previously, but I need to know myself and up to date.

Comment

• longdayjake

IT doesn't really matter anymore. Now that AA has given it to SAAMI it Grendel being made by a lot more companies now. You will find that it won't make any difference at all.

Comment

Templar Custom very nice bartlein cut rifled grendel barrels. It comes down to personal preference. I choose grendel.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Midway's barrels came from Liberty/Satern, and they released their Grendel contract last spring. Thus, they could not market with the Grendel name any longer. Now that the trademark has been released, I expect that most people will go to the more recognizable of the names, and the one that has SAAMI approval.

The LBC is a standard throat with a .295 neck, though at least one member has posted that there are actually 2 variants, one with a .295 and another with a .300. The Grendel SAAMI chamber is a .300 throat with a compound angle, which improves semi-auto and full auto feeding and centering of the bullet, improving accuracy across a wider range of bullets.

The LBC is very accurate, especially with the bullets it was designed for, the 123 Sierra and 123 Hornady.

That said, Bill Alexander spent many thousands of rounds and many thousands of dollars developing the Grendel chamber to be as accurate as possible with all the different bullets available, and since it is now the SAAMI standard, it makes sense to go with that chamber.

Comment

Dave at Pacific Tool & Gauge has 2 reamers for the 264 LBC AR. One has a .295 neck and the other a .300 neck. If you are going to use Wolf ammo it will not work with .295 neck size as I believe the neck on the case is already .294-95 ish. Hornady and Lapua brass work fine with .295 neck. I have not seen the Grendel print but the lead on the 264 LBC AR is .120 at .2644 and then angles down to .2420. Of course the bore size is .256 so the reamer cuts a short throat as I see it.

IM000000.jpg IM000001.jpg
              Last edited by Guest; 10-28-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Get the LBC and avoid the potential issues associated with the Grendel Compound throat.

Comment

• leopard6.5

mseric: What potential issues are there associated with the Grendel compound throat?

The whole point of the compound throat is that it has less problems over a wider variety of bullets.
                  People keep trying to claim there are problems with the compound throat but the problems I've read about over the last 4-5 years and especially on the old forum was from people who bought the altered, unlicensed chambers.
                  I've had four different Grendel rifles over the last five years and have yet to have a problem feeding them various ammo( of course I just jinxed myself).

So please list the problems you have had with the Grendel chamber so we can all learn.

Lee

Comment

Do "The Google" . Stuck bullets in AA Grendel chambers.

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I've used both Grendel and LBC chambers. I've noticed no difference in accuracy nor reliability. I would put more thought into the barrel itself, and accept whichever chamber it happens to have.
                      Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                        Do "The Google" . Stuck bullets in AA Grendel chambers.
                        Prior experience suggests that there's gonna be a bunch of folks wasting time on that search. Why don't you provide the links so folks can save a bit of time?

The devil is in the details, and seeing the links directly will let us know what kind of agenda is being followed. For example, if the rounds are reloads, then what was the OAL? I've stuck bullets in throats in bolt guns and pistols through subtle errors in OAL. Other examples include the poster (or the reader) not realizing that the upper or barrel were really AA.

Comment

Thanks!
                          Originally posted by mseric View Post
                          Sounds like the factory rounds work fine but he was having trouble with reloads and didn't have a clear understanding of what he was doing

To borrow the thread title: sounds like "The Same" and one can draw a lesson from this.

The lesson is that anyone can make a round not function properly. The trick is to find out what is needed to make the stuff work right.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

mseric,

The issues you bring up are not a compound throat issue, they are a cartridge length issue, and would happen with any of the various different throats. If the bullet is seated too long, it will jam into the lands.

The bullets are not touching the throat, they are into the rifling.

Comment

Working...
                            X