How to get your casings super clean...What do you guys think about this article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get your casings super clean...What do you guys think about this article?

Found this, haven't tried it yet but looked VERY interesting... anyone had luck with this or tried it? Planning on trying to clean my casings like this in the near future... tumbling them is just not cutting it.

I have the ultrasonic cleaner and quit using it when I found the Stainless Steel media with the Thumbler Tumbler. Brass looks brand new inside and out. Also removes surface scratches from the brass. I believe there is an article on Accurateshooter.com for the tumbler.

Comment

Ceramic media works very well also.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
        Ceramic media works very well also.
        Works good with what? Where you you find the ceramic media?

Comment

Originally posted by brickcues View Post
          I have the ultrasonic cleaner and quit using it when I found the Stainless Steel media with the Thumbler Tumbler. Brass looks brand new inside and out. Also removes surface scratches from the brass. I believe there is an article on Accurateshooter.com for the tumbler.
          Does it work in any tumbler?

Comment

Should work in any rock tumbler/polisher. Does not work with the vibratory style case cleaners that most people use to clean brass.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcues View Post
              Works good with what? Where you you find the ceramic media?
              I use ceramic media in a vibratory tumbler (Dillon) although instructions recommend a tumbler. It works great. Cabelas used to sell it, it's used in Black Powder cartridge quite a bit. You can get it at Buffalo Arms or Shiloh, don't know if Cabela's still has it. Stainless media may be a better option, I haven't tried it.

Comment

I burned out an ultrasonic cleaner this way. lol It works great, though I didn't like trying to dry the brass out anyway. I have no patience for that.

Comment

Easy to dry brass, just stick in oven at 175 deg. for about 30 min.

Comment

Didn't even think of that. But now I need a new ultrasonic cleaner.

Comment

• jwilson1985

harbor freight has ceramic media

Comment

I did the ultrasonic thing till mine burnt out. I used the small one from Harbor Freight. Lasted about a year ($40 I think). It was pretty time consuming as the small one would only stay on for 5 min at a time and only hold about 30 pcs of .308 brass. Took about 30-40 mins to get things clean. Then I'd rinse under cold water, toss on a towel for a quick dry and then right into a tumbler with corncob media for about 30 more mins. Worked pretty good.. but I think the small sonic cleaner I had was costing me lots of time.

The steel media looks like it works well, but investing $200 into a new tumbler (have two vibratory ones) and then the media just to clean my brass is hard to swallow.

I'm back to rinsing to using the corncob in the vibrator.. maybe I'll try the ceramic media option.

Comment

yeah, well the super sonic cleaner seems like a cheap, viable option since i can pick up a small one from harbor freight for around $30 & then use household cleaners to get it clean (vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, etc.) so i may try this and report back.

Comment

Ultrasonic cleaner, a teaspoon of Cream of Tartar (available from the supermarket in the spices/baking area) and a spurt of dishwashing detergent in about 400ml of water works very well at cleaning and shining cases.

No need to neutralise afterwards as it's does not leech copper.

Comment

Working...
                            X