New to Reloading opinions on plans for new loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Reloading opinions on plans for new loads

I just started to reload and wanted to post my load plans on here for any opinions/tips and for safety sake. First i had a question it seems my new AA brass only measures 1.518 when the minimum case length is 1.520 I figured id be fine but just wanted to know what the experts think. The bullet I'm going to be using will be the nosler 120 gr ballistic tip and the powder imr 8208 and cci 450 primers. I was thinking I would start off with 27gr and work up to 28gr with about 4 different loads. I was going to run about .010 jump I took all my measurments with the hornady OAL gauge. If I make it to 28gr with safe pressure signs was probably just going to make up some with that to get me through hunting season. I know i can fine tune to try to find a node but dont know if id have that much time to play with it. Thats about it any opinions safety concerns anything like that much appreciated.
  • Greyfox
    Bloodstained
    • May 2011

CTS

The AA brass lenght at 1.518" is OK. Here is my load data with the following components:
    AA brass
    Remington 7 1/2 match primer.
    120 gr Nosler BT
    IMR 8208 xbr powder
    COL 2.245" taken from AlexA's published data.
    My rifle has a 24" Overwatch upper

My chronograph load data 15 ft. from the barrel:
    27.2gr 2424 fps
    27.4gr 2473 fps
    27.6gr 2501 fps
    27.8gr 2515 fps
    28.0gr 2525 fps

My deer load is 27.6gr at 2500 fps. Why did I not 28.0gr at 2525 fps? 24 fps with .4gr powder with alot higher pressure is not worth it. Also your CCI magnum primer will raise pressure a small amount over the Rem 7 1/2. Hodgden's reloading manual lists the Sierra 123 MK max velocity at 2497 fps at 50,000 psi. If you do not have a chonograph then never load a maximum load.

If you have a Grendel Chamber then load your COL to 2.245" as Bill Alexander recomends. Do not get hung up on only a .010" jump. Most of my loads are .015" or more and are very accurate.

Yesterday I verfied my sights all the way to 400 yards. At 400 yards my two shots were 2" apart. The 6.5 Grendel has been the most accurate cartridge I have ever shot.

Greyfox

Comment

the Case length differance will be fine the cases will stretch with firing and resizing actually the min is where most trim to, the max dimentsion is when to trim. Key thing is don't exceed max and trim uniformly.
      On the charge I personally would start at 26.0 and work from there, 27 is probably safe but I always like to error on the safe side. YMMV
      Most report good results with the Noslers.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys the barrel is an AA 18" I dont have a chrono yet but its one of the next things on the list as far as the .010 jump the first ammo i bought and shot out of my rifle was from precision firearms shot a few rounds brass looked fine but upon trying to extract an unfired round it was stuck. When i got the round out the brass seperated from the bullet leaving the bullet in the barrel. This is when i bought an OAL gauge and bullet comparator when i took my measurement I found that indeed the bullet was jamming into the lands a good ways i forget the actual measurment they where loaded to the measurement i got from the OAL gauge 1.680 ogive to lands.
        I finally got a press and some dies so I seated one of the rounds to where it was .010 ogive to lands these were the 120gr noslers witch gave me a 2.197 COL to tip. Shot the 1 round checked for signs of overpressure brass looked fine the round also extracted fine unfired. I seated the rest of the ammo to this length about 50 rounds they shot great pushed them all the way out to 450 yards on 2 liter bottles full of water never saw any signs of overpressure. It just seems im having to seet so deep allready was probably just looking to stay at around .010 jump. 2.197 COL seems really deep to me compared to the factory load data but ive checked my measurement to the lands multiple times always with the same results.

Comment

• Greyfox
          Bloodstained
          • May 2011

CTS
          Looks to me that your doing a very good job at reloading. Keep up the good work.

It seems that you have a short throated chamber. You are right in wanting to seat .010 off the rifling.

My favorite tool is the chronograph as it tells you the bullets velocity. If your velocity is faster than published load data's maximum velocity,the PSI is over max too. Hodgdon lista 50,200 PSI as maximum for the 6.5 Grendel.In the above load data the 27.8gr and 28.0gr load did not show any pressure signs either. But the pressure was well over the 50,200 PSI.

Greyfox

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys from the info ive gathered from you guys I think ill start at 26 gr and work up to 27.5 then when i get a chronograph maybe do some fine tuning. The last peice of the puzzle my primers come in tomorrow and then get to load my first rounds ever. Good to know all my hours of research lead me in the right direction. Again thanks for all the info and help.

Comment

Working...
            X