Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backyardsniper

Ready to grendel

Hey guys new here just joined today thinking abbot building my first grendel. Looking forward to getting some info from some guys in the know. I would like to hear from some of you on how you feel about the performance of the grendel in general and its honest capabilities, and what direction i should go with this rifle as far as more of an honest long range rifle 24 in heavy magpie prs kind of deal or is this rifle better suited to an 18 or 20 in fast handling rifle
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Completely depends on what you want to do with it. It's NOT a 600-800 yard hunting cartridge, but elk, antelope and deer have all been taken at 400 yards or better.

I have several, and my favorites are my heavy 28" PRS stocked rifle which I have shot out to 1000 yards, and my 20" light rifle which I shoot out to about 600. Bill Alexander's favorite barrel length is an 18" which he uses mostly for coyotes.

It will do both well. It is not a thumper, but it decisively drops deer, hogs, and similar game without problem. It wouldn't be my first choice for elk or black bear, but it will do the job if you put the bullet where it belongs.

It will flat stomp coyotes and cats.

Comment

Welcome. Cool thing about the grendel is it is designed to be used in full auto/ fast semi type of firing but can be used as a tac driver also. Just depends on what you want. I went with a 20" as a long range target/ medium game type gun. Its a very versatile cartridge in an even more versatile platform

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I was in the same quandary before I built mine so I selected what I hoped to be a happy medium in a 20" medium profile Satern. It has turned out to be an awesome shooter giving me sub moa groups out to 1000 yds but still being light enough to carry in the field for prolonged stalks.

I went with a CTR stock because of the quick adjustment and friction lock feature. The PRS is a bit heavy for my taste in a field rifle.
        Last edited by txgunner00; 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM.
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I really want to purchase an ACE ultralught. Handled one at a recent gun show and fell in love... Lightest stock i know of. Itd be perfect for carrying around all day if thats what your're going after.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

I went with the 24" mainly due to living out on fairly flat open prairie, I can reach out and "touch" coyotes from a blind/hide. I also wanted the muzzle blast as far away from my poor tired ears as possible.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Electronic Campfire!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Welcome, BYS!

John
                :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Working...
                X