Range Report: WC846 and 123 SMK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report: WC846 and 123 SMK

A few weeks ago i posted asking questions about the powder since it has a close burn rate to blc-2. Answers were not to favorable. I had a 8lb jug of it and decided to try it anyway. What could it hurt if i start low and work my way up. My chrono should be here next week to get the ftps

Privi case
    28.6 grains wc846
    2.253 COAL.
    The flyer was because i was hit by an ejecting shell right as i shot.

went back to the range today with my chrono and got some numbers.

1. 2600
    2. 2630
    3. 2628
    4. 2634
    5. 2623

high 2634
    low 2600
    avg. 2623

Not bad out of a surplus powder. This load is plenty to get my to 1200 yards
    Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• RangerRick

Hi Ox,

What was the barrel length for that? Nice group. No pressure signs with that I suppose?

Thanks!

RR

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
      went back to the range today with my chrono and got some numbers.

1. 2600
      2. 2630
      3. 2628
      4. 2634
      5. 2623

high 2634
      low 2600
      avg. 2623

Not bad out of a surplus powder. This load is plenty to get my to 1200 yards

Comment

the barrel is an AA 24" barrel with the threads cut off and a 11* crown put on it. Sorry should have included that in the post. No pressure signs. I was using PPI brass with the large primers also. Thanks for the nice comments on the group also!

Funny thing is i tried the same load for the 123 Amax and was getting really flat primers, but the ftp was also averaging 10ftp faster. Ill have to back it down for the Amax bullets.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Nice friggin group oxn. You need some Lapua brass, which is very hard, with small rifle primers. The AMAX's might have harder jackets, or more bearing surface...who knows. Either one would create more pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Nice friggin group oxn. You need some Lapua brass, which is very hard, with small rifle primers. The AMAX's might have harder jackets, or more bearing surface...who knows. Either one would create more pressure.

i have some hornady brass with the small primers that im going to try with that load with the A max's first. my average ftps was 2634 with the amax. one was all the way at 2660.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
              i have some hornady brass with the small primers that im going to try with that load with the A max's first. my average ftps was 2634 with the amax. one was all the way at 2660.
              OX:

The AMAX showed flattened primers and you had a pressure spike. This type of thing is pretty common when using surplus powders and good for you that you noted a potential issue.

Remember that the powder you are using was made for a very specific bullet, primer, brass and chamber. None of these variables are the Grendel so starting low and working up while noting when things get weird is a good thing.

LR1955

Comment

Nice group!

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Nice shooting.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• acelungger

Ox,
                    Nice group! What was the yardaged? I have heard real good reports from the 6.5 Grendel. I have been playing with my 243 WSSM AR and getting my loads better, I bought a 6.5 Grendel Barrel and will build it soon, so I thought I would read on here and learn as much as I can.
                    Later

Comment

Originally posted by acelungger View Post
                      Ox,
                      Nice group! What was the yardaged? I have heard real good reports from the 6.5 Grendel. I have been playing with my 243 WSSM AR and getting my loads better, I bought a 6.5 Grendel Barrel and will build it soon, so I thought I would read on here and learn as much as I can.
                      Later
                      group was at 100 yards.

Comment

Don't discount that flyer. Shoot this load more. I'm willing to bet that that cartridge case had less to do with that than you think.

There have been many situations where I thought I pulled a shot only to find that I didn't. So I suspect that this group, including the "flyer", is a more accurate representation of what this load will normally do.

Comment

i have shot a few more groups with that load and had achieved the same sub 1/2" groups if i do my part. Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Great shootin! I'm curious as to how clean a burn the powder is (ie - closer to BLc2 or XBR8208) on the scale.

Comment

never used xbr8208 but this burns simular to how blc2 burns in terms of dirtyness. Not great but not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X