Just curious neckdown to 6mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious neckdown to 6mm

Just curious to know, has anyone neckdown the 6.5 Grendel to a 6mm bullet? What are the performances?
  • StoneTower

Something like the 6mm AR Turbo?

Comment

• jwilson1985

its what the grendel came from ...from my understanding anyway

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Varoum View Post
        Just curious to know, has anyone neckdown the 6.5 Grendel to a 6mm bullet? What are the performances?
        VR:

Yes. I have been shooting a 6mm AR in High Power on and off for the last three years.

You won't find a cartridge that can be fired from an AR-15 frame that will outperform a 6 AR or 6 AR Turbo for High Power competition.

For the 6 AR, all you do is neck the Grendel brass down to 6mm. I think the 6 AR Turbo needs to be blown out.

LR1955

Comment

• StoneTower

What about the .243 WSSM? I would like a .25 WSSM. I almost purchased a really nice used 6.5 WSSM built by DTECH but due to the case length, bullets need to be seated too deeply in my opinion. For long range hunting with an AR15, Mike at Dtech says the .25 WSSM is king.

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          VR:

Yes. I have been shooting a 6mm AR in High Power on and off for the last three years.

You won't find a cartridge that can be fired from an AR-15 frame that will outperform a 6 AR or 6 AR Turbo for High Power competition.

For the 6 AR, all you do is neck the Grendel brass down to 6mm. I think the 6 AR Turbo needs to be blown out.

LR1955

Comment

You need special barrel extensions and bolts for the WSSM's. The 6mm AR Turbo is a practical cartridge for mag-feeding from Grendel mags, using standard AR15 barrel extensions.

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              You need special barrel extensions and bolts for the WSSM's. The 6mm AR Turbo is a practical cartridge for mag-feeding from Grendel mags, using standard AR15 barrel extensions.
              Yes, but when you are talking AR High Power, you are not dealing with a typical AR anyway. I don't think running around the woods with a 28" barrel would be very practical. For hunting, a WSSM with a 22" fluted barrel pushing a 100 grain .25 caliber Barnes bullet at 3000+ fps would be very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
                http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo.html

Something like the 6mm AR Turbo?
                Right on! StoneTower, thanks

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

What about the .243 WSSM? I would like a .25 WSSM. I almost purchased a really nice used 6.5 WSSM built by DTECH but due to the case length, bullets need to be seated too deeply in my opinion. For long range hunting with an AR15, Mike at Dtech says the .25 WSSM is king.
                  ST:

I said for High Power.

Hunting is another game. I think the Grendel is a excellent hunting cartridge for most game at most hunting ranges.

LR1955

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yes, but when you are talking AR High Power, you are not dealing with a typical AR anyway. I don't think running around the woods with a 28" barrel would be very practical. For hunting, a WSSM with a 22" fluted barrel pushing a 100 grain .25 caliber Barnes bullet at 3000+ fps would be very nice.
                    Stats sound nice, but wouldn't it be a barrel burner?
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                      Stats sound nice, but wouldn't it be a barrel burner?
                      TG:

The 6 AR isn't kind to barrels. The 6 AR Turbo is less kind. HP shooters don't particularly care and I don't imagine medium and big game hunters would shoot enough.

Those WSSM's made to go through AR-15's are not the heat. Bullets must be very short which means lighter. Much lighter than a standard bullet for that caliber. MV is super high but exterior performance is poor to very poor. I imagine they will kill just as well as anything else but no better, faster, or deader than anything else. So, it comes down to cost and the cost of one of those WSSMs due to rifle and brass is astonishingly high for such an inefficient cartridge.

Stick with the Grendel for hunting.

LR1955

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                        TG:

The 6 AR isn't kind to barrels. The 6 AR Turbo is less kind. HP shooters don't particularly care and I don't imagine medium and big game hunters would shoot enough.

Those WSSM's made to go through AR-15's are not the heat. Bullets must be very short which means lighter. Much lighter than a standard bullet for that caliber. MV is super high but exterior performance is poor to very poor. I imagine they will kill just as well as anything else but no better, faster, or deader than anything else. So, it comes down to cost and the cost of one of those WSSMs due to rifle and brass is astonishingly high for such an inefficient cartridge.

Stick with the Grendel for hunting.

LR1955
                        Not considering .25 wssm, just curious. I am slightly interested in the 30 OSSM though. I ran into a guy at the range that had one and he was very pleased with it's performance. 150 gr pill @ 3000+ FPS from an AR platform is intriguing. That matches or beats my 30-06. Barrel life would be somewhat of a concern though. Probably not too bad considering the 30 cal bore.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

150 gr 30 cal bullets have poor bc for long range work...

I really like idea of the 6.5 WSSM, if you could get 140s to shoot mag length. I think you could modify a WSSM mag to shoot 2.30... WSSM is a single stack mag and the oly forums has guys doing 2.30 oal.

the other wildcat that intrigues me is a 358 WSSM. might be the best of combination of 450 or 50 Beowulf and a flatter shooting rifle bullet on a small AR platform

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Not really looking at it for long range but there are 150-155 bullets with good enough BCs for work out to 500-600. I'm thinking more in terms of terminal velocity/ energy for larger game. An -10 lb gas gun for elk, mule deer, etc. would be sweet. Along those lines a .358 might be a better performer though. More to think about...

Comment

• StoneTower

A guy had a 6.5 WSSM upper that was built by Dtech for sale on Gunbrokers that I was thinking of getting. It was on there more than once before it sold. The Redding dies for that special wildcat were about $350.00. The guy that owned it was getting excellent results with 123 grain bullets, but the loaded rounds were seated so deep that it looked like the neck was past the bearing surface of the bullet. I talked to Mike at Dtech and asked some general questions and he told me that the .25 WSSM was the king of the hill for the AR15 platform. The best bullets for the 6.5 were just too long for the WSSM in the AR15 platform. I decided not to get the upper based on what Mike told me.

YMMV

Originally posted by speederx7 View Post
                              150 gr 30 cal bullets have poor bc for long range work...

I really like idea of the 6.5 WSSM, if you could get 140s to shoot mag length. I think you could modify a WSSM mag to shoot 2.30... WSSM is a single stack mag and the oly forums has guys doing 2.30 oal.

the other wildcat that intrigues me is a 358 WSSM. might be the best of combination of 450 or 50 Beowulf and a flatter shooting rifle bullet on a small AR platform

Comment

Working...
                              X