Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Hornady Announces 6.5mm 100gr A-Max

Intriguing. . . .

Link: http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5MM-.264-100-gr-A-MAX

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Been around a few months now. Some of the guys on the forum have tried it. It seems to have the ogive from the old 120, not the 123 designed for the Grendel, though!

I noticed a day or so ago that the 100 grain A-Max on midway had been "coming soon" for a while now but now they are available, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, if anyone has, do you mind sharing load data?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

That's strange that they didn't use the better 123 ogive. Perhaps a technical issue with needing bearing surface, if I were to give them the benefit of the doubt? But, then, Lapua, has a very sleek 100gr. Both 65G and all the bigger 6.5s have room for plenty of ogive. Why needlessly limit the BC? Hmmm. . . .

John
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Regardless of what could have been, a G1 BC of .465 coupled with a muzzle velocity of close to 2800 ft/sec in a 24" barrel makes this a respectably flat-shooting bullet at all ranges. Naturally the Hornady page is silent on whether the bullet is suitable for varmints or larger game, but if it is suitable for deer-size game, then this could be a very nice all-round bullet.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          Regardless of what could have been, a G1 BC of .465 coupled with a muzzle velocity of close to 2800 ft/sec in a 24" barrel makes this a respectably flat-shooting bullet at all ranges. Naturally the Hornady page is silent on whether the bullet is suitable for varmints or larger game, but if it is suitable for deer-size game, then this could be a very nice all-round bullet.
          I'm sceptical that it is really .465. The 100 grain Lapua is only .424, and the 108 grain is .465. I can't figure out how something that blunt can carry that high a BC. The 100 grain Berger is only .370, and it is visibly sleeker than the 100 Hornady, though I'll admit that is just from pictures. I'd love to see them alongside each other!

Comment

And some folks say that the Scenar ballistic coefficients are overstated. "Interestinger and interestinger..."

More seriously, the Amax has that plastic plug, which allows for a very small meplat. That could be a partial explanation for the apparent conflict.

I suppose one could set up a chronograph at 500 - 600 yards and compare velocity loss versus predicted.

I wonder how many screens would be sacrificed before enough go through to get a decent velocity average?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

And some folks say that the Scenar ballistic coefficients are overstated. "Interestinger and interestinger..."

More seriously, the Amax has that plastic plug, which allows for a very small meplat. That could be a partial explanation for the apparent conflict.

I suppose one could set up a chronograph at 500 - 600 yards and compare velocity loss versus predicted.

I wonder how many screens would be sacrificed before enough go through to get a decent velocity average?
              I vote we use YOUR chrono!!

Comment

Who said knowledge is without cost?

Oh well...

Comment

To my mind this could be the best bullet yet. A high BC for long range shooters; a high SD for hunters. Not expensive. Less recoil than 123gr bullets. All we gotta do is try it out.

Comment

hm2clark,

Right on! The challenge will be in verifying that the BC is about what is listed on the Hornady page.

Cheers!

Comment

• RangerRick

Just measure the drop of each at longer ranges after zeroing at 100.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                        Just measure the drop of each at longer ranges after zeroing at 100.

RR
                        The procedure could give a qualitative confirmation, especially if done in parallel with the 100 gr Scenar.

The problem is that it will be hard to tell the difference between a BC of .465 and one of .425 until the range gets really long. For example, using a muzzle velocity of 2800 ft/sec there is a difference of only 0.2 MOA in drop at 500 yards and 0.9 MOA at 1000 yards.

Comment

• Deer Hunter

My Hornady 123 Gr A-max just came in, did I make the right choice for Deer Hunting?

Comment

It's really difficult to make a truly bad choice for deer.

You can check the loaded ammo reviews at http://www.midwayusa.com/product/787...tail-box-of-20

Also for the bullet: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/840...ail-box-of-100

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              I'm sceptical that it is really .465. The 100 grain Lapua is only .424, and the 108 grain is .465. I can't figure out how something that blunt can carry that high a BC. The 100 grain Berger is only .370, and it is visibly sleeker than the 100 Hornady, though I'll admit that is just from pictures. I'd love to see them alongside each other!
                              I just ran across the 100 gr A-Max on the Midway site. To be sure, the Hornady catalog is likely the most accurate but Midway listed it as ".390 - .400" rather than the .465 shown by Hornady.

We probably can tell the difference between .390 and .465 at 500 to 1000 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X