• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Lapua/AA vs Hornady Brass

Has anybody noticed any difference between loads with all things being equal other than the brass.

I have a load I worked up with AA brass I want to use in Hornady brass but I don't have enough time left to do a proper workup. Got a last minute invite to go on a hunting trip.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 11-09-2011, 12:32 AM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Same loads, no differences in my rifles. Bill Alexander says there should be no substantial difference.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Thanks

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

I can load 28.5 gr of IMR 8208 in hornady brass and it shows no pressure signs.
        This same load in AA (lapua) brass gives me a couple of warning signs: flat primer and bright ring on the headstamp.

Comment

• Texas Sheepdawg

Be sure you uniform your flash holes on the Hornady.
          Here is a picture of what I got from cleaning 50 rounds
          of brand new 6.5 G Hornady brass.
          Weighed the cuttings. (3.1 grains).

Comment

• jwilson1985

i got about the same ...ive noticed that the hornady brass is very soft ,so im wondering how long they they will las
            Originally posted by Texas Sheepdawg View Post
            Be sure you uniform your flash holes on the Hornady.
            Here is a picture of what I got from cleaning 50 rounds
            of brand new 6.5 G Hornady brass.
            Weighed the cuttings. (3.1 grains).

Comment

if you have a tight chamber, the hornady is built to the max Grendel spec, and you may have rounds that are a little snug in the chamber.

Comment

I've noticed that the Hornady brass trims very easily most likely because it is soft metal but it also has a tendency to knurl and must be chamfered and cleaned up on the case mouth. In addition, with the second loadings, there were several brass that had the primer pockets loose and the Rem 7 1/2 would not seat firmly and fall out.
                I may need to check the loads that I was using. Is there a possibility that those loads were a little too hot? I did notice some strange markings on the headstamp following the firing. I'll check and post later.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I have noticed that primers and bullets seat much easier in the hornady than in the AA.

Comment

No pressure signs for same loads (vs AA), easier to seat, trim, etc all point back to the softer brass I would suspect of the HDY.

Comment

I just broke down and ordered some AA (Lapua) brass. I've done well with the Hornady brass, but primer pockets sometimes got loose in as little as 3 reloads. Other than that, no complaints. Hope I will still be able to cram 28.5 gr of AR-Comp under the 123 Amax and get it to seat to 2.29.

I'm used to deburring the flash holes and normalizing the primer pockets. Is that still necessary with the AA (Lapua)? Also, do I need to pick up a smaller decapping pin? Seemed to recall that the Lapua is slightly smaller holes. I assume that has no impact upon ignition? Actually, don't answer that. I will do an A/B velocity and group thread for what may be my last range outing of the season. Temps should start to plummet here in MN any time now. I remember double digit below zero Thanksgivings, but not recently.

My Dad was visiting for deer season and left me his Lead Sled DFT to play with. Sure could have used it earlier in the season, but better late than never. It will prove invaluable for load development as I'm always trying to decouple my influence from the load's. Didn't get to drop the Grendel hammer on any deer this season as it blew gale force winds up where I hunted 4 of the 5 days we were up there. Only saw a few dumb yearlings. Any deer with a lick of sense was hunkered down in the cedar swamps.

I assume everyone who needed brass got in on the $55.00/100 deal that expires tomorrow. Actually $65.00 after shipping. That breaks down to spot on for what I buy Hornady for at the local reloading shop, so I'm happy. Kind of a late birthday gift to me.

Hoot

Comment

• rasp65
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

I know sinclair sells a reamer for uniforming the small flash hole http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...le-Reamer-0625 , or you can use a 1.5 mm drill in a pin vise to unifrom the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                          I have noticed that primers and bullets seat much easier in the hornady than in the AA.
                          I had the same thing happen to me. Hornady no problem in priming. AA I had to use my Rock Chucker to seat them correctly. I think I'll use the wire cleaner on the new AA to make just little more room and see uf it helps.

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

The AA- Lap. brass is the best quality= tighter primer pockets= enjoy! After 10 shots, it still feels tight pushing out- the spent primer from Lap. brass,=good stuff ! Iv'e only shot the Horn. 3- times, we'll see after 4... It could be the wolf, - ppu- brass - in disguise--- maybe. A few in the ammo arena have told me as such. If it holds up- who cares.

Comment

Working...
                            X