Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RangerRick

Anybody used CFE 223 powder?

Anybody used Hodgdon's CFE 223? It's a "Copper Fouling Eraser" formula.

It has some pretty good numbers according to their web site: http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

RR

thats the first i have heard of it, where does it fall on the burn rate chart?

Comment

Just read about it on gunblast. Can't wait to see the results people get

Comment

Hodgdon's on line load data page has info for several calibers. They haven't yet incorporated loads for the Grendel.

Has anyone experienced significant copper fouling with the Grendel?

One would think that we would use CFE223 for velocity or accuracy reasons rather than minimizing what seems to be a minor thing in the Grendel.

Comment

Copper fouling depends on barrel quality also. I took out my bartlein cut rifled yesterday and saw no copper fouling after 40 rounds of factory hornady 123's. I would think if this powder does indeed reduce fouling it would be ideal for blaster type barrels
          Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by oxn316 View Post
            thats the first i have heard of it, where does it fall on the burn rate chart?
            I don't see it on the burn rate chart yet: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

RR

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
              Anybody used Hodgdon's CFE 223? It's a "Copper Fouling Eraser" formula.

It has some pretty good numbers according to their web site: http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

RR
              Yo Rick:

He, he. What do you expect them to say ... "Our new powder sucks"?

Got to keep you on your toes.

LR1955

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                Yo Rick:

He, he. What do you expect them to say ... "Our new powder sucks"?

Got to keep you on your toes.

LR1955

Since it was compared to only other Hodgdon powders they could maybe say "it sucks less than the others!" LOL.

RR

Comment

• BenchRider

This powder could be great for the Grendel. I printed out Hodgdon's load listing for .223 / 5.56 bullets and this powder pushes some good velocity numbers in the heavier bullets. Gave me the impression that it takes over after Varget is too fast for the bullet weight. The only show-stopper could be not being able to cram enough into the Grendel case without ending up with a seriously compressed load.

If it likes to push heavier bullets, maybe we can get to the 140gr weight class wunder-BC 6.5 bullets, get to 1500 yards, and still be supersonic.

OR, maybe I should just buy that 6.5 Shilen barrel off that gunbroker website and have it chambered in 6.5 Creedmore before I end up wearing bolt carrier parts as face decorations.

Comment

Working...
                  X