Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Powders across calibers

I was reading this thread: http://http://www.65grendel.com/foru...d-I-need-to-do and I started wondering which powders I could use across several different calibers I plan on reloading. I suspect I could do a lot of research on all the different mfg's websites, but I'd like to hear from people that have actual experience.

Here are the calibers I want to eventually reload:
    6.5 Grendel
    .30-30
    .458 SOCOM

also
    .45 ACP
    .357 SIG
    9mm

Any real experiences would be helpful. Thanks

-michaelmew
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM.

You'd probably be best served grouping the 458S with the pistol calibers.
    I've used Varget and H4895 across a lot of rifle calibers but recently, IMR8208XBR has been my rising star.
    For pistols Universal paints a broad stroke as well as Longshot. I'm no pistol guru, so there may be more recent developments there.

Hoot

Edit: My brain said Unique and my fingers typed Universal. It's part of growing older.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

I use Power Pistol in 40SW and 9MM, work well. Can't double charge, as they take up more than 50% of case. I have just bought some Ramshot Silhouette to try. No exp with 45 or 357 sig, but that power may work.

For you rifle, I've only reloaded 5.56, Grendel, and 243. With light bullets in 556(55gr) and Grendel(95) Ramshot X-Terminator would work. X-Terminator runs great through my progreesive and gives adequate results from an AR I have put it through.

I plan on using AA2520 1st or TAC 2nd for 120-123 gr in Grendel, both would work in 556 with heavier bullets as well. TAC would even work with bullets as light as 55.

In 243, I use various 4350 powders(including Win 760 and Hunter)with 87gr BTHP from Hornady(my favorite 6mm bullet). I also use H4831 with 100gr bullets.

Have not loaded the others.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

From Ramshot, TAC will work in the 5.56, Grendel, .308, .30-30, and probably even the .243. There are multiple loads for the first four, but .243 is a little different. I use it in all of the first four listed, don't reload .243. TAC would probably work, but Big Game/Hunter would probably be better there, because the bullets are so light for caliber in most cases. Ramshot will talk you through special load use if you call.

The .458 SOCOM is a different game. I don't load for it, but understand that Reloder7, Lil Gun, IMR4198 are the hot tickets. I do load for the Beowulf and use LilGun most of the time.

Unique for all the pistol calibers, and you'll get good results.

There's one set of options!

Does that help?

Comment

• longdayjake

TAC will do a good job on all your rifle calibers except for maybe the 458.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

Winchester 748 will work for the rifles.

Winchestr 231 will work for the pistols.

Comment

MM:

I like Coolbarrel's recipe for starting simply with powders that will work across a range of calibers. I've burnt a bunch of 231 in .45 acp and 9mm over the years and it works ok for the general blasting ammo with my cast lead bullets. I haven't used nearly as much 748 but what I have as been great in 5.56 and ok in .308. Remember, though, that by limiting yourself to one powder for all your rifle calibers, you are compromising performance for simplicity. There is really no substitute for looking at a bunch of reloading data for the caliber you are interested in and seeing which powder comes close to the performance you are looking for. I try to match the powder's burn rate with the case capacity and bullet weight. For instance, in 5.56, I load 55 gr. bullets w/AA2230 and 69 and 77 gr. bullets with AA2520. In .308, I load 125 gr. hunting bullets with AA2015, the 150 gr. hunting bullets with H335 or AA2460, and the 168 and 175 targets with 2520. In .243, I have been going with IMR 4064 for lighter bullets and IMR4831 or H4831 for heavier. For 120 gr. class bullets in Grendel, I use 2520 and for the 100 gr. class, 2460. I've been reloading .223 and .308 for 25 years now and only three for the grendel. The AA powders were fairly new on the market when I started using them. I haven't tried any of the newer powders because what I had was working pretty well for me but I'm retired now and may have some more time for experimentation.

Hope this helps a little,
              regards,
              pkcorc30

Comment

I wanted to go a similar route when I first started loading rifle. I was hoping to use TAC as my go to rifle powder. Unfortunately my 223 groups half the size with H322 as it does with TAC, and my Grendel doesn't cycle very reliably with H322. It goes on from there. You might get lucky, or be able to find a couple powders that you can make acceptable blasting ammo with across the board. But if you're going to load for accuracy you're going to want to experiment with different powders for each gun.

Comment

• longdayjake

I would like to second 231 for the pistol calibers.

Comment

• michaelmew

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!

This actually does help a lot. For now, I am not concerned about maximum accuracy, we usually just shoot at 12" plates at 100-200 yds for fun only. I want to start with as few unique components as possible because my wife has put me on a tight budget. Once I start seeing the savings from handloading I can branch out and try different things. But, in the beginning I need sure bets with max applicaitons. And it looks like I'll be geting some TAC or Win748 and Unique or Win231

Thanks again for all the practical knowledge.

-michaelmew

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                      The .458 SOCOM is a different game. I don't load for it, but understand that Reloder7, Lil Gun, IMR4198 are the hot tickets. I do load for the Beowulf and use LilGun most of the time.
                      458SOCOM / 50 BEOWULF is my next build. I havent completely decided which way to go but I'm leaning towards 458. What made you choose the 50 Beowulf over similar calibers? I was under the impression that especially for handloaders, the 458 has a lot more options of bullets and therefore more broad capabilities.

FYI, the build I want is a SBR, AR platform, piston driven system; for a PDW type weapon. And, I am expecting the recoil to be similar to a shotgun. I don't know anyone with either calibers so I have no field experience to judge.

-michaelmew

Comment

Working...
                      X