NON Grendel related -- Reloading calibering to .38 AMU LONG rambling post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NON Grendel related -- Reloading calibering to .38 AMU LONG rambling post

Ammoguide.com has more on the 38 AMU: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=665.

They also have a forum with participation by a huge variety of handloaders, some of whom are the most experienced in the country.

Try posting the note in a new thread in that forum and I am sure you will get both supportive and knowledgeable advice!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Figured everyone would be all over this one, anyway once I get the conversation completed /started I'll post the results I figure about 6 months to a year total as the SIGs Magazine doesn't look promising right now. Where did I place that Beretta M9 mag at hummmmm

anyway joe went to the link great resource I really like the cartridge change (9mm Mag was top of the list for caliber change) they didn't have any load data.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I know the 1911 has been converted to shoot 38 special wad cutter ammo and I think Clark and other gunsmith's produced these target pistols. I think the 1911 would be an easier gun to modify than a 3.75 inch barrel P225 plus you'd have a 5 inch sight radius. I think the 1911 mags for 38 super would come closer to working with the 38 AMU. The 9 MM Win Mag case is a very strong case and would with stand way more pressure than your going to be generating with the 38 AMU. Personally if I wanted this conversion I'd probably stick with Colt/1911 or S&W because of all the parts available for the 1911 and all the used Police S&W 1st 2nd & 3rd generation 9 MM pistols. It is well known how to make a 1911 accurate and unless you specifically wanted to go with the Sig P-6/225 I think there are more practical handguns for the conversion.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I just checked Wikipedia and it list 9MM Win Mag (9 X 29 MM) at 48000 PSI, 357 Mag 35000 PSI, 38 Spl 17000 PSI, 38 Spl +P 20,000 and 38 Spl +P+ 20,000 to 22,000 PSI. Compare that to the 9MM 9 X 19 MM at 39000 PSI and 357 Sig at 40,000 PSI. I figure your target load 38 AMU would be in the 17000 PSI range or less.

Comment

Vascar2
            Actually according to Lyman Reloading manual it tops out at 16,900 cup or so depending on powder. So you are dead on. The actual GOTO load is 148gr HBWC over 2.7grs of bullseye Most pistols need the action spring lightened to achieve cycling.

As far a using the SIG it is here and just need a donor barrel for the testing saving cost to be placed in the reamer, first measurements without making up brass or digging out .38 spl cases, the SIG mags maybe a bit too short, which would open up old used Smith and Wesson 39s, 92F, or PT92s that can be had for cheap. Part of me wants to do his in the M9/92F as it is the current issue pistol and is accurized easily. Yes the 1911 is a one choice and not a bad one, but with the rising cost of componets for a 1911 series etc etc a 9mm beater could be obtained for basically the cost of the slide for 1911 series. and basically reworked for less

13 Nov---OK got the final measurement from the SIG magazine not enough room couple that with a rib in the top of the mag does not allow a .38 Spl type Wadcutter so the P6 /P225 is out. Maybe a S&W donor or 92 series?, mag check time

14 Nov ---Checked a Beretta M9/92 Magazine good to go with double stack which forces a flat versus the SIG Single stack being a Raduis, should open up the Taraus as well. Checked a Glock 17 extremely tight but should work. Note to self really need to check the S&W 52 magazine if leaving the rim on to look at the rim area and the front mag azine is flat or raduised.

16 Nov---- Discussed this with EFK Dragonfire in Az, Frank stated he wished he wasn't so swamped with orders that he would love to get involved with the project for giggles, we discussed the chambering and then I releized that they EDM their Chambers and do no reamers in the bore. Which would require set up time and a couple product waste. He turned me on to several sources he knew to rechamber and even offered to cut the shipping by dropping off the barrel so only one time shipping was needed. The one thing That I like about Frank was that he supported (produced barrels) each of the canidates that came to mind for this. Once I get further along though I am thinking that I need to involve Warped (wonder if he has a 9mm Mag reamer on hand???)
            Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X