X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report- 123 gr SMK vs AMAX

And the winner is....

SMK course.

I loaded 50 rounds of each at 30.5 gr of Win 748 in Lapua brass and CCI Bench Rest primers.

I put the target at 60 yards, the farthest I could shoot at deer camp and set the POI at 1.3 inches high for a zero at 200. The SMK were almost in the same hole, 5 shot group in one hole about the size of a dime. Dead center, high exactly 1.3 inches. The AMAX were in a group dead center up and down but 2 inches left of POA. The group was about 1.5 to 2 inches, I didn't measure. Sorry no pics, the targets got blown up with tannerrite not long after the test.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm debating whether or not to try out the 123 AMAX. What accuracy have others been able to achieve with them? I get excellent results from my 123 smk loads but the lower cost of the Amaxes has me interested.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 11-14-2011, 04:06 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I had the same problem with AMAX until I loaded with .010 jump. Loading both the SMK and AMAX to same OAL and the SMK has some jump and the AMAX is into the lands. AMAX is very accurate as I am shooting .7 at 200 yrds but only with .010 jump. It is all over the place if loading into the lands. I have to load AMAX at 2.24 OAL but can load SMK to 2.26 OAL.

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

One thing I noticed when looking at other peoples load data from similar rifles & components is the Amaxes seem to be averaging 2600 fps +-. The most I can get with SMKs without problems is around 2500. Could the construction of the Amax (bearing surface, alloy, etc) allow higher velocities or is this most likely from other factors (elevation, etc)?

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

I haven't started playing with the jump yet, that's next on my list. I usually get 2555 +/- 10 fps on the SMK, I haven't put the AMAX on the chrono yet. May have to buy a new one, since I moved I can't find my chrono...

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            One thing I noticed when looking at other peoples load data from similar rifles & components is the Amaxes seem to be averaging 2600 fps +-. The most I can get with SMKs without problems is around 2500. Could the construction of the Amax (bearing surface, alloy, etc) allow higher velocities or is this most likely from other factors (elevation, etc)?
            What's your barrel length? I haven't seen much difference in velocity between the two with the same loads, but they are both sensitive to jump. The AMax is very accurate.

RR

Comment

20" barrel from Model 1 Sales.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

20" satern

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

I'm debating whether or not to try out the 123 AMAX. What accuracy have others been able to achieve with them?
                  I'm finding the 123 amax to be comparable accuracy to the 120 & 123 Sierra's. To the point that I've just pretty much switched to the AMAX as my primary loading. Less issues, very accurate. In one of my rifles easily capable of 1/2" 100 yard groups. (nothing exotic J&T 20" bull barrel wilson airgauged). Actually, I traded that rifle to a friend, but still shoot it periodically. Shot it this weekend, wobbly table, only one sand bag (no bipod, no rear bag), not even really trying hard. Just fun shooting, and shot a 3/8" all shots touching 5 shot group at 60 yards.

Plus I keep very similar POI between commercial Hornady and my reloads.

Comment

• RangerRick

20" satern
                    I have a 20 inch Satern too. I get 2520 with SMK 123's and 123 Amax'es with 30.5 grains of 2520. I get about 2480 to 2500 with Alex-A factory and Hornady 123 AMax factory loads.

I get about 2530 with 120 grain bullets with the same load.

RR

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post
                      I have a 20 inch Satern too. I get 2520 with SMK 123's and 123 Amax'es with 30.5 grains of 2520. I get about 2480 to 2500 with Alex-A factory and Hornady 123 AMax factory loads.

RR
                      Thanks. Turns out I had some info crossed up (barrel length).

The last average I got of my SMK loads was 2515. 28.3g 8208.

Comment

I have never gotten the 123 smk to shoot. As much as I would have liked it to, it just never did. I suspect that I may just not have pushed them hard enough, I don't know. I suspect that only because of the difference between the .308 155 palma (2156) and the standard 155 smk (2155). The palma requires a higher charge to get the performance. This may also hold true between the 120smk and the 123smk.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by Rambozo View Post
                          I have never gotten the 123 smk to shoot. As much as I would have liked it to, it just never did. I suspect that I may just not have pushed them hard enough, I don't know. I suspect that only because of the difference between the .308 155 palma (2156) and the standard 155 smk (2155). The palma requires a higher charge to get the performance. This may also hold true between the 120smk and the 123smk.
                          Yes, a lot of folks find that. Jump has a lot to do with it, but I've developed loads that worked great in summer, but the groups opened up in cold weather, I'm nt sure what causes it. With a 20 inch barrel I can't get the velocity that the 24's can get, so more speed might help.

RR

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick View Post

RR
                            I get 2602 fps with 120 SMK's and 30.2 grains 2520 in a 20" AA Hunter. Still working with the 123 SMK's and AMAX.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Never saw any improved accuracy with the 123 SMK's over the 120 SMK's. And the 123 AMAX's shoot just as well, fit better, etc. So I view the 120 SMK's as a 2nd choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X